• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragons and water intake

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Very informative article THANK you for posting, I'm always eager to learn all about Bella And giving her the proper care, not to mention it's fascinating to learn about them and how to give them their proper life stye.

I thought it was very informative. I never knew that they were able to squeeze water out of every thing they eat. I love finding informative articles and passing them on, we are all in a constant learning loop with these guys.

Patricia Box

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hard to argue with scientific studies on these animals but once again i find a conflicting recommendation. On a podcast called Reptile LivingRoom an interview with longtime breeder Mark Romansky reveals that he has bathed his dragons every day for over 25 yrs. in order to avoid shedding issues and has never had a problem. Obv, i am not a breeder, I'm just trying to make one dragon happy and if they don't absorb water through their scales at all (and benefit only by drinking the bath water) then i'm leaning toward less baths. She was shedding her neck and back today and i decided not to bathe her
I give mine a bath. I was told by my vet to do this twice a week. I also bathe him when he is shedding.

Cassandra Handford

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I'm new to this. I have an adult central bearded dragon and a leatherback beardie. I want to be sure on their sex. I dont want to rely on my own opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190507-185149_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190507-185149_Video Player.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20190507-185110_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190507-185110_Video Player.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 36

In99flames

Hatchling Dragon
That article is awesome. When I first got Shiva i had a water source....shed never drink it and kicked sand in it most of the time. I havent had a water dish in her cage in a good 12 or 13 years. Once every 4 or 5 months i will pick her up and put a bowl of water in front of her. Sometimes she is interested and dunks her head in drinking. There's been plenty other times she doesnt care and ignores it.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hard to argue with scientific studies on these animals but once again i find a conflicting recommendation. On a podcast called Reptile LivingRoom an interview with longtime breeder Mark Romansky reveals that he has bathed his dragons every day for over 25 yrs. in order to avoid shedding issues and has never had a problem. Obv, i am not a breeder, I'm just trying to make one dragon happy and if they don't absorb water through their scales at all (and benefit only by drinking the bath water) then i'm leaning toward less baths. She was shedding her neck and back today and i decided not to bathe her
you have to bath them more often!!! Especially when they are shedding but twice a week minimum for 15min or more with non chlorine water!! If u have a filter system or bottled great heat it up a bit needs to be lukewarm!!! Or buy reptisafe and place a few drops on to take the chlorine out!!! That’s how hey hydrate is with baths!!!!

Valcast1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey I just got a baby bearded dragon a few days ago and I’m mostly worried about his temp Inthe tank on his basking it’s around 93f and his cool side is 88 I have a 75w lightbulb but he mostly hangs out in the cool side is that ok for them he’ll just stay in that spot for hours he still eats a few crickets and his veggies though?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey I just got a baby bearded dragon a few days ago and I’m mostly worried about his temp Inthe tank on his basking it’s around 93f and his cool side is 88 I have a 75w lightbulb but he mostly hangs out in the cool side is that ok for them he’ll just stay in that spot for hours he still eats a few crickets and his veggies though?
How big is the tank??? Adults the temp should be 95-103 and beardies smaller than 2yrs old should be 105-110. The ministry is probably off. It should be 30-40 never higher than 40 of its high open all windows during the day and remove the water bowl!! Also NO sand substrate use smooth shelf liner u can get at target or wallmart beige color not black!! Also NO coils bulbs or black or red booms it burns their eyes. He should be eating way more than that and needs a basking spot 6-8 inches away from the heat lamp. For a 40 gallon tank u need a 100 watt bulb for a bigger tank u need 150watt Zoo med basking spot bulb and of the tank is 30 gallons u need a 75watt. Tank should be light and bright. U need the long Reptisun long bulb!! And the basking

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Remove the Sand substrate ASAP!! It’s super bad for them it impacts and ingests them!!! Use smooth shelf liner u can get it T target or wallmart it’s amazing!! Or paper towels but the shelf liner is best. Also u can place Dubias in the small water bowl and he will drink from it. But mainly to hydrate themthey need 2baths minimum a week for 15min in Like warmjok chlorinated water!! Means bottled or filtered water. Or if u don’t have a filtered water system u buy “Reptisafe” from petco or Petsmart and it’s 2drops for every cup of water u place it on their drinking and bathing water. Play mediation music when u bathe them and when u are gone; they love it. They like quiet NO loud noise. And do not get water in their ears or u risk a UResporatory infection. Tank needs to be light and bright NO coil bulbs and no bulbs with color like the red/black or blue ones. Get the ZooMed clear basking spot light and the long tubular Reptisin!!! At night they like pure dark again NO bulbs with light!!

Valcast1

Bearded Dragon Egg
How big is the tank??? Adults the temp should be 95-103 and beardies smaller than 2yrs old should be 105-110. The ministry is probably off. It should be 30-40 never higher than 40 of its high open all windows during the day and remove the water bowl!! Also NO sand substrate use smooth shelf liner u can get at target or wallmart beige color not black!! Also NO coils bulbs or black or red booms it burns their eyes. He should be eating way more than that and needs a basking spot 6-8 inches away from the heat lamp. For a 40 gallon tank u need a 100 watt bulb for a bigger tank u need 150watt Zoo med basking spot bulb and of the tank is 30 gallons u need a 75watt. Tank should be light and bright. U need the long Reptisun long bulb!! And the basking
For now i have him in a 20 gallon tank and I’m using the light bulbs that tank came with I bought one of those repti starter kit tanks I have the repti basking spot lamp at 75w and the repti sun uvb bulb at 10.0 should I use a higher watt basking bulb than?

Valcast1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey I’m a new owner of an 8 week old baby beardie I bought him a petco and I’ve been noticing he’s been closing one eye only he’ll leave it closed for a few sec and close it back and leave one eye open is that normal he’s still active and he does eat like he’s supposed to and his tank is a 20 gallon with the basking at 104f and cool side is at 89f?

Attachments

• 426E06BE-4534-4A5E-94BF-1C5B55CB70E3.jpeg
    426E06BE-4534-4A5E-94BF-1C5B55CB70E3.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 19

N W

Juvenile Dragon
you have to bath them more often!!! Especially when they are shedding but twice a week minimum for 15min or more with non chlorine water!! If u have a filter system or bottled great heat it up a bit needs to be lukewarm!!! Or buy reptisafe and place a few drops on to take the chlorine out!!! That’s how hey hydrate is with baths!!!!
Baths are NOT how they hydrate.
Read the article listed above.
They get their hydration from washing their salad/veggies and gutloading their live feeders.

N W

Juvenile Dragon
No.
Please go to beardeddragon.org and let the experienced owners there help with your set-up.