• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon won't stop humping!

oriza

Bearded Dragon Egg
My roommate just adopted a beardie from a family that was looking to get rid of him. We're not sure how old he is or anything but he's probably an adult (he's a chunky boy about the length of my elbow to my hand).

He's quite comfortable with being outside but without fail lately, he's been running to the sofa, taking a flying leap from the back of it and onto the pillow to...well...get *real* intimate with. I stopped him the first few times it happened, and today I let him go to see what would happen because he seemed so sad afterwards. Basically he wouldn't stop and just kept dragging his now-wide-open vent over everything in sight, even when I moved him off the pillow and to the back of the sofa. I was worried he was going to get lint or fur stuck in his vent (we have a cat).

Googling "bearded dragon humping" didn't turn up much (although I'm probably on a watchlist now). Are there things we can do to help relieve this behavior? He never goes after anything in his tank, just the sofa. I know it's a perfectly natural behavior and I'm not grossed out by it or anything-- but it seems like a good way for his vent to get chafed or for him to just get really frustrated at the lack of a receptive partner :/

Here's a pic of the pillow/sofa in question. Not sure exactly what it is that is so attractive to him, although I guess it's definitely the color of a beardie...

DwvyiTL.png

Latest posts