• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon wont eat

rigby1987

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi my bearded dragon has stopped eating.

She is called zelda and she is about 7 years old.

I got her when she was about 5 and she used to eat kale and crickets but now for the last few weeks , she refuses any food.

She just wants to sleep but I get scared because I worry she will die .

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
81d324d6ae9c01ed6455bc7884938305.jpg
776630a7bcf2a2e031a1e5eee0263e1e.jpg
0f18d969925d09d0396eb8145740b367.jpg
fea8d0d81c6a9e98f46121b27effe11d.jpg
c7ffcf0fb302a154c38033c1cd4b3363.jpg
e45d981b239fcfe5d4fdf306cecf952c.jpg
231a544caf21f9bca56114161677c95c.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It is that time a year that they go into brumation. Mine didn't really start doing it until they were around 4 years old. I would get a vet exam to rule out any other illnesses but it just sounds like she wants to sleep.

Also if the UVB is old, or the temps aren't warm enough for her, she could not want to eat.

rigby1987

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you both for the replies. I've just ordered a new exo terra repti glo uvb 10.0 just incase.

I've also ordered some different substrate (beechwood chips) , along with some waxworms and crix.

I'm just out at the moment and I'm going to pick up some greens that she hasn't tried yet.

I saw these advised on a list someone posted the other day. Are these okay staples?

I just want to fatten her up , but if she still wont eat after trying the new environment and diet , should I then just leave her to brumnate?

Also if she does go into this hibernation mode should I keep the new uvb off at all times and just keep her heat lamp active?

Cabbage, kidney beans, grapes , kale ,apples , Bell peppers is what's on my list .

Regarding the vet check up I won't lie , I can't afford the price . I love her but I got her as a rescue and it wasn't really planned to keep a beardie.

Thanks again and any more replies would be great to settle my worries a bit.

Does this sound okay?

I don't want her to die...

Tom.

962f50b986fb3222c86199f4dec7520f.jpg
f25b08cb2fab1ec49d41ca22cba1fec7.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The ReptiGlo lights aren't the best, you'll need to change it sooner than 4-6 months. ReptiSun bulbs are the better ones and Arcadia are the best. The loose substrate is bad for them, especially anything wood or walnut or loose pebbles. Bearded dragons taste everything and can accidentally eat a piece of substrate. The ones mentioned are real bad because they are sharp and they can't digest them without cutting their intestines. Slate or ceramic tile is good, non adhesive shelf liner is real good, you can even use repti carpet.

As far as the foods go, check out the nutrition list at beautifuldragons.com The foods you mentioned aren't the greatest for them and you really shouldn't be feeding them beans. Cabbage is high in phosphorus and can hurt the kidneys and kale binds to calcium so it's not the greatest thing to feed by itself.

M

Masonbushell4664

Wax worms can be very addictive and with a new environment it can take weeks for a beardie to get used to it. That being said beardie can go weeks without eating so I wouldn’t worry if he hasn’t eaten in a few days I wouldn’t worry to much. If you have Facebook join a group called bearded dragons network. It’s got lists of foods and files on brumation and everything you need to know. Also tons of people to answer any questions.

rigby1987

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the replies again. Can I ask
What are collard greens and mustard greens and dandelion greens?

I'm in the UK and I've never heard of them. I'll go get some different food for her today but what is it is need to be looking for .Shops round here only sell things like salads kale cabbage etc

M

Masonbushell4664

Thanks for the replies again. Can I ask
What are collard greens and mustard greens and dandelion greens?

I'm in the UK and I've never heard of them. I'll go get some different food for her today but what is it is need to be looking for .Shops round here only sell things like salads kale cabbage etc

I give mine rocket which my 5 year old loves and even my 9 week old seems to enjoy it.

rigby1987

Bearded Dragon Egg
I give mine rocket which my 5 year old loves and even my 9 week old seems to enjoy it.
Thanks I'll add that to my list. I'm guessing your in the UK also ?

Where can I find decent everyday staple food ?

So far on my list I have spring greens , butternut squash and rocket.

Thanks again

M

Masonbushell4664

Thanks I'll add that to my list. I'm guessing your in the UK also ?

Where can I find decent everyday staple food ?

So far on my list I have spring greens , butternut squash and rocket.

Thanks again

Yea I am. And if it’s available I give rocket everyday and I feed locust. I also give calci worms which are really high in calcium so they don’t have to be dusted. People feed super worms but they are really fatty and beardie can get addicted easily.

M

Masonbushell4664

Yea I am. And if it’s available I give rocket everyday and I feed locust. I also give calci worms which are really high in calcium so they don’t have to be dusted. People feed super worms but they are really fatty and beardie can get addicted easily.
Also if you join the Facebook page I said there is discounts for food websites.

rigby1987

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Mason Yeh I've requested to join now. I'm going out soon to look for some rocket .

M

Masonbushell4664

Thanks Mason Yeh I've requested to join now. I'm going out soon to look for some rocket .

No problem. On the Facebook page there’s a list of foods that are ok for dragons to eat. And lots of other information. Best of luck.

rigby1987

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not sure what to do now pal. I've tried new uvb . Offered greens and crickets and worms

She had about 1 of each and went under the basking spot to sleep. I get her out in the morning and put her in the basking spot.

And offer staple . She's not interested. Goes to sleep. Should I leave her to sleep?

M

Masonbushell4664

I'm not sure what to do now pal. I've tried new uvb . Offered greens and crickets and worms

She had about 1 of each and went under the basking spot to sleep. I get her out in the morning and put her in the basking spot.

And offer staple . She's not interested. Goes to sleep. Should I leave her to sleep?

It might be brumation. I wouldn’t get her out to bask if it’s brumation you have to let her sleep but it’s worth getting a vet check and a fecal test to check for possible parasites. If it is brumation she needs to have a empty stomach before she sleeps. If you ask on that Facebook group there will be people more expearienced than I am. My dragons have never gone into brumation so I don’t know what you have to do with the lights and other things but everything you need to know will be in that group. If I was you I would 100% get info from that group.

M

Masonbushell4664

Also one other thing. What are the temps and is she pooing alright?

Latest posts