• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon spots on head

Tiffanyhutchens

Bearded Dragon Egg
PXL_20220623_205137290.jpg

My bearded dragon Drako developed these two spots on his head today...anyone know what this could be? and what needs to be done?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 32345

My bearded dragon Drako developed these two spots on his head today...anyone know what this could be? and what needs to be done?
That looks like a burn-- how close is the basking bulb? It should be no closer than 6 inches -- please post a pic of your tank and lighting your using --- I see hes on sand -- please change it out -- sand is not a good substrate and can cause impaction along w/ the bacteria it harbors can cause infections of the scales / skin -- for the burn please get some raw unpasteurized honey you can find that in your local organic section of the food store - apply several times a day - please dont feed any crickets in the tank they will hide and then come out at nite and feast on the honey
for a good substrate some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store is good-- easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 ---

Tiffanyhutchens

Bearded Dragon Egg
I didn't realize they would burn themselves with the light...does the light need to be on the top part of the enclosure? Definitely will get the sand changed out...open to any other suggestions...please help :) definitely want to do what's best for him.

Attachments

• PXL_20220624_191445589.jpg
    PXL_20220624_191445589.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220624_191438218.jpg
    PXL_20220624_191438218.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't realize they would burn themselves with the light...does the light need to be on the top part of the enclosure? Definitely will get the sand changed out...open to any other suggestions...please help :) definitely want to do what's best for him.
Ok what UVB are you using? I need the brand and the bulb -- T 5 or a T 8? At this point hes getting little to NO UVB-- We are going to get your tank set up correctly for him--- you have a Zen that is what I have---- you want the two digital probe thermometers your not getting accurate surface basking temps for him --- how old is the dragon? He looks to be about a year or close to it -- for that age you want surface basking temps of 95-100- place probe on the spot he sits for basking- please put the two domes on the top of screen -- tell me what wattage your using and the brand of the bulb--are you using two basking bulbs in the dome? I would look at changing out the hammock for a fleece or a cloth one the green mesh and the braided ones are notorious for causing toe and foot injuries --- www.pamperedbeardies.com or www.etsy.com --

Tiffanyhutchens

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok what UVB are you using? I need the brand and the bulb -- T 5 or a T 8? At this point hes getting little to NO UVB-- We are going to get your tank set up correctly for him--- you have a Zen that is what I have---- you want the two digital probe thermometers your not getting accurate surface basking temps for him --- how old is the dragon? He looks to be about a year or close to it -- for that age you want surface basking temps of 95-100- place probe on the spot he sits for basking- please put the two domes on the top of screen -- tell me what wattage your using and the brand of the bulb--are you using two basking bulbs in the dome? I would look at changing out the hammock for a fleece or a cloth one the green mesh and the braided ones are notorious for causing toe and foot injuries --- www.pamperedbeardies.com or www.etsy.com --
His uvb light is a zilla T8 like the picture attached...it's on the top of the enclosure right now...does it need to be somewhere else? So I need a different thermometer as well? He is abt 10 months...the bulbs are 75w zoo med...and both are basking lights...will get him a fleece/cloth hammock also

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-214838.png
    Screenshot_20220624-214838.png
    684.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220624-215307.png
    Screenshot_20220624-215307.png
    763.6 KB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His uvb light is a zilla T8 like the picture attached...it's on the top of the enclosure right now...does it need to be somewhere else? So I need a different thermometer as well? He is abt 10 months...the bulbs are 75w zoo med...and both are basking lights...will get him a fleece/cloth hammock also
Ok the uvb bulb is a ok bulb but I would recommend a reptisun 10.0 T 8 for now-- and look at upgrading your uvb to a 24" zoo med fixture w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 the placement and distance is going to be determined by your for screen on the thank- in the meantime get your uvb your using now inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- as of now he's not getting adequate uvb- the basking bulbs are good just make sure your surface basking temps are 95-100-- yes please get 2 digital probe thermometers place one on the cool side and the other on your hot side you can place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask you don't need to leave it there just to get your basking temps-- zoo med digital probe thermometer-found at PetSmart or Petco

Tiffanyhutchens

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the uvb bulb is a ok bulb but I would recommend a reptisun 10.0 T 8 for now-- and look at upgrading your uvb to a 24" zoo med fixture w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 the placement and distance is going to be determined by your for screen on the thank- in the meantime get your uvb your using now inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- as of now he's not getting adequate uvb- the basking bulbs are good just make sure your surface basking temps are 95-100-- yes please get 2 digital probe thermometers place one on the cool side and the other on your hot side you can place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask you don't need to leave it there just to get your basking temps-- zoo med digital probe thermometer-found at PetSmart or Petco
Ok so the uvb and basking light need to be together over his hammock area with basking on the top and uvb in the enclosure?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so the uvb and basking light need to be together over his hammock area with basking on the top and uvb in the enclosure?
If you can do it it's optimal+ he's going to go to the light he needs- get your uvb and temps corrected and watch his behavior how big is your tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

4'x2'x2​

Ok I have a Zen which is a 4x2x2 as well and my tanks are set up w/ different basking spots --- I have a hot side which has a temp gradient for heat temps - I will post a pic of it - the other basking is in the middle of tank towards the front where my UVB is - that rock that sits under the UVB is in the 90's - the basking light sits right behind it - he goes to different spots in the tank -

Attachments

• Blaze tank 9-20-2021.jpg
    Blaze tank 9-20-2021.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts