• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Skin/Scale Problem?!

Karmaesque

Bearded Dragon Egg
For the past month or so my bearded dragon's skin between the scales has been looking a little yellow and I am concerned. I've had him since July of last year and this is the first time I've seen this. I asked around and some people are just saying this is just part of him growing so quickly, is this true?
I've attached pictures below.

He also hurt his nose while he was glass surfing in his old viv and since then the scales on his head have been looking rather odd, as if they are really dry. Around his mouth has shed recently, but his head hasn't shed at all in the past two months.
(Pictures below)

I'd really appreciate if someone could help, I'm really worried about him in case these problems are harming him.
Photo 04-02-2015 01 36 41.jpg Photo 04-02-2015 01 37 10.jpg Photo 04-02-2015 01 37 16.jpg Photo 04-02-2015 01 37 38.jpg Photo 04-02-2015 01 37 48.jpg

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome! Have you tried misting him daily with a water bottle or any baths? I mist my dragon on the head in the am for him to drink.Just an idea and wondering if that would help with the dry scales.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Make sure you are giving him baths and keeping him hydrated. It looks like retained shed skin. I would give some nice long soaks in a tub of warm (not hot) water. You could gently rub him with a washcloth or a soft baby tooth brush. Also, you could rub the spots with mineral oil, coconut oil or a product called Reptile Shedding Aid.

Welcome to the forum! Keep us updated.

Karmaesque

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome! Have you tried misting him daily with a water bottle or any baths? I mist my dragon on the head in the am for him to drink.Just an idea and wondering if that would help with the dry scales.

I mist him twice, daily in the morning and at night. But I probably should bathe him more. Thanks!

Karmaesque

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure you are giving him baths and keeping him hydrated. It looks like retained shed skin. I would give some nice long soaks in a tub of warm (not hot) water. You could gently rub him with a washcloth or a soft baby tooth brush. Also, you could rub the spots with mineral oil, coconut oil or a product called Reptile Shedding Aid.

Thank you so much for your help! I will try that tonight and keep you updated.

Karmaesque

Bearded Dragon Egg

I went to the store to get Mineral oil and this is the only thing I could find. Will this suffice (Pictures below) or am I better using something like Olive oil?

Photo 08-02-2015 18 30 03.jpg Photo 08-02-2015 18 30 10.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I went looking for mineral oil too and couldn't find it. I wouldn't use baby oil. It has a perfume scent plus I don't really know what's in it. The word isopropyl makes me think of alcohol. As far as olive oil goes, I know they can eat it but not sure about putting it on their skin.

I'm looking at the ingredients in the reptile shedding aid, it has jojoba oil and vitamin E.

Latest posts