• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon sick? HELP

Ryan M.

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new here. Someone please help me. My pet dragon has not eaten in 3 days. His beard and chest is black and his poo is all white and very small. He sometimes is twitching/readjusting his body.The last thing he ate was a small grape cut in half. I gave him a bath yesterday. What is going on? HELP

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to BDF. Sorry to hear your beardie isn't acting normal.
What types of food are you offering him? Do you use vitamins? UVB lighting? How much twitching are we talking about? Is he drinking water? Is he active? What are his temperatures like in the enclosure?

Ryan M.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to BDF. Sorry to hear your beardie isn't acting normal.
What types of food are you offering him? Do you use vitamins? UVB lighting? How much twitching are we talking about? Is he drinking water? Is he active? What are his temperatures like in the enclosure?
I have offered him live crickets, brocoli, lettuce, rasberries. I always cover the crickets with vitamin powder. I do use a UVB light and he sits by the window and gets alot of sunlight. I gave him a bath yesterday but he just sat in the water and hardly moved. This is very strange for him. He seems very tired/lazy and for the past 2 days he would be lying down and he would all of a sudden perk up and adjust his body and twitch/jerk his head and then does a small poo but only the white part. Now hes not moving very much. The temperature in one side of the tank is warm like its always been. I dont know whats going on here because nothing has changed for 7 years and everything was fine up until now

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd check those temperatures to make sure they are hot enough. It sounds like you may be experiencing some brumating. Three days of no eating isn't going to kill him. Keep offering food and making sure his environment is at the right parameters

Ryan M.

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'd check those temperatures to make sure they are hot enough. It sounds like you may be experiencing some brumating. Three days of no eating isn't going to kill him. Keep offering food and making sure his environment is at the right parameters
How long can he go without food? What is the cause of the weird movements?

Ryan M.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you still there?

Ryan M.

Bearded Dragon Egg
What should i do?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like a trip to the vet might be a good idea. It does sound like he could be going into brumation, but its best to get a checkup to be sure there arent other issues first. I agree that a few days without food is really not a big deal. At that age, I would say just offer greens/vegetables everyday and live food once or twice a week anyway.

Ryan M.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like a trip to the vet might be a good idea. It does sound like he could be going into brumation, but its best to get a checkup to be sure there arent other issues first. I agree that a few days without food is really not a big deal. At that age, I would say just offer greens/vegetables everyday and live food once or twice a week anyway.
Thank you to both of you who replied to me. Unfortunately he passed away just this morning. It doesnt seem like anything could be done to help. But he passed away peacefully after a long life of over 8 years. The vet said that he was very low on red blood cells. If you guys ever see a beardie acting like this please take him to the vet as soon as possible. Thank you and take very good care of your dragons because it is very sad to see them go.

MelanieT

Hatchling Dragon
I'm so sorry Ryan. Their behavior can be baffling. When it comes down to it they are all different. Sometimes you just know something isn't right.
Eight years is a long life so you must have been a great beardie "dad".

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry for your loss Ryan. Sometimes they do things that we just don't understand which makes it hard when they get sick because it's sometimes hard to tell what is an emergency and what is just them being them. 8 years is a good life for a bearded dragon. Hold on to your memories of the good times you had with him.