• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Sex?

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
Hello! I adopted Norbert two weeks ago. I am unsure of his age, but he is close to 8 inches now. Is this too early to tell the gender?
IMAG2388.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It may be to early to tell for sure yet, but generally you can tell & be 80-90% sure. I had one that still at 8 years old, visually checking, to me always looked female, but I knew better because I had seen his "Junk" in action.

Can't really tell from the pic, as the tail is not pulled back far enough & the BD is not held correctly. But from what I can see, I would lean towards male, but again the tail & BD must be held properly to have a better idea.

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
It may be to early to tell for sure yet, but generally you can tell & be 80-90% sure. I had one that still at 8 years old, visually checking, to me always looked female, but I knew better because I had seen his "Junk" in action.

Can't really tell from the pic, as the tail is not pulled back far enough & the BD is not held correctly. But from what I can see, I would lean towards male, but again the tail & BD must be held properly to have a better idea.

Okay, thank you. I've had a hard time getting a hold of him to get a proper photo, as he is kind of spazzy. I will try to get a better one, holding him correctly tomorrow afternoon. I've read that head bobbing can often mean that it is a male BD. Is this true? He/she does it often.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That's a common misconception. Females head bob quite a bit as well.

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
Huh, alright. Well, I guess we will find out soon. I looked when I first brought him home. Looked up how to sex a BD and I thought it looked like a male, but I want to be sure. I've never sexed a lizard before. I'm new to this. :p

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Let us know when you find out! We'll all be just as excited as you to see. Unfortunately, the only way to tell for sure is the above linked method.

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
Of course, I will be sure you let you all know!! I don't like leaving it a mystery. hehe. He's just so squirmy and jumpy and fragile still, I'm worried about hurting him...or her. ;)