• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon respiratory infection.

Tony3619

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey

My bearded dragon has heavy breathing and opens his mouth and has a popping noise.

I've seen the vet who has given me metacam and advised to up the temps slightly.

If this doesn't work after 3 days I have to get antibiotics.

Will metacam do anything apart from act as a painkiller? I'm abit confused why I'm being advised to try metacam on its own first?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey

My bearded dragon has heavy breathing and opens his mouth and has a popping noise.

I've seen the vet who has given me metacam and advised to up the temps slightly.

If this doesn't work after 3 days I have to get antibiotics.

Will metacam do anything apart from act as a painkiller? I'm abit confused why I'm being advised to try metacam on its own first?
Not sure either- keep temps warmer at night 80 -- what kind of uvb? Coil or tube?

Tony3619

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not sure either- keep temps warmer at night 80 -- what kind of uvb? Coil or tube?
I use a tube uvb. Checked the humidity which is about 20% and the temps at the moment are 29c at cold end and 40c at hot end.

I looked it up and metacam is basically an anti inflammatory? I dont see how this will cure the respiratory infection unless the vet is suggesting it will clear up on its own?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a tube uvb. Checked the humidity which is about 20% and the temps at the moment are 29c at cold end and 40c at hot end.

I looked it up and metacam is basically an anti inflammatory? I dont see how this will cure the respiratory infection unless the vet is suggesting it will clear up on its own?
I doubt it- usually a antibiotic is given -- where is the uvb inside the tank or top of screen ? What brand and bulb and is there a reflector on the fixture? All this iam asking is very important

Tony3619

Bearded Dragon Egg
I doubt it- usually a antibiotic is given -- where is the uvb inside the tank or top of screen ? What brand and bulb and is there a reflector on the fixture? All this iam asking is very important

The uvb is screwed on the Inside with a reflector. It's made by reptile systems.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The uvb is screwed on the Inside with a reflector. It's made by reptile systems.
Brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8? Distance is key here to the overall health a long w/ the brand ---- there are brands better than others and we recommend certain brands --- this is going to reflect on the dragons over all health -- the basking temps and the UVB are the most important things in the tank --- are you using a CLEAR bright white bulb? NO off white NO yellowish NO colored and NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that is bad for the eyes

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8? Distance is key here to the overall health a long w/ the brand ---- there are brands better than others and we recommend certain brands --- this is going to reflect on the dragons over all health -- the basking temps and the UVB are the most important things in the tank --- are you using a CLEAR bright white bulb? NO off white NO yellowish NO colored and NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that is bad for the eyes
I saw your post on the other forum -- please make sure your T 8 is not over 6 months old what brand is the
Uvb lighting is a 900mm tube T8 -- do you have a reflector on the T 8 fixture and if so is there a clear plastic cover over the bulb? Distance and placement for the UVB is critical --- screen and plastic covers block 30% of the rays - and it should be in the tank w/a distance directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches --- basking temps and the UVB are the most important things in the tank --- the person that answered your post is a vet tech mod - she can better guide you w/ the medical care he should be getting ---
what size is the tank? If its over 40 gallons I recommend you upgrade your UVB to a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb

Latest posts