• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon really sick :((

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, so about a month ago my bearded dragon stopped eating and she became brownish yellowish on her belly. I figured a parasite and took her in to the vet right away. She got put on a topical treatment, for both her stomach and back. (She has some skin problems on her back and the vet said this would help with that too). I believe the cream was silver sulfadiazine. (I’m in school so I don’t know for sure, I know it has silver something.) Slowly she just got worse, became way more lethargic, she sleeps all day, and not eating at all. I took her back again cause she looked awful. He kept her for observation and also did a parasite test. It came back clean. He told me to then keep her on the cream and I also started Omnivore care feeding supplement. This was ab 2-3 weeks ago. She is now worse. She’s still very lethargic, sleeps 24/7, doesn’t eat, and is basically colored black. The other night I gave her a bath to see if it would help her feel better- I put her in and she just let herself sink to the bottom and be submerged under water. Last night I noticed she was on her log and leaning very far back with her arms barely holding on. I went in to see what was up, and right when I went to grab her she just fell back and landed in my hands on her back. So then when I got her out I slowly went to turn her on her back to see if she would fight to stay off of it and she just let me do it. She also looks like she’s barely breathing most of the time. I have a vet scheduled for today again, but I’m scared he’s just going to tell me to keep doing the same thing. I’ve been doing this for over a month and she is not improving at all. If anything it looks like she’s getting worse. (I forgot to put this, I put the cream on two times a day and feed her 1 milligram of the supplement four times a day.) I really just want her to be better and figure out what’s wrong. Does anybody have any ideas? Any help would be very appreciated, thank you! I added a picture from around the time when I first got her and then another one from the other night.

Attachments

• 04A7A5A3-D74A-4887-9E55-A70C2E75F864.jpeg
    04A7A5A3-D74A-4887-9E55-A70C2E75F864.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 7B6C5986-9136-4DE5-9FC3-C094162D0358.jpeg
    7B6C5986-9136-4DE5-9FC3-C094162D0358.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, so about a month ago my bearded dragon stopped eating and she became brownish yellowish on her belly. I figured a parasite and took her in to the vet right away. She got put on a topical treatment, for both her stomach and back. (She has some skin problems on her back and the vet said this would help with that too). I believe the cream was silver sulfadiazine. (I’m in school so I don’t know for sure, I know it has silver something.) Slowly she just got worse, became way more lethargic, she sleeps all day, and not eating at all. I took her back again cause she looked awful. He kept her for observation and also did a parasite test. It came back clean. He told me to then keep her on the cream and I also started Omnivore care feeding supplement. This was ab 2-3 weeks ago. She is now worse. She’s still very lethargic, sleeps 24/7, doesn’t eat, and is basically colored black. The other night I gave her a bath to see if it would help her feel better- I put her in and she just let herself sink to the bottom and be submerged under water. Last night I noticed she was on her log and leaning very far back with her arms barely holding on. I went in to see what was up, and right when I went to grab her she just fell back and landed in my hands on her back. So then when I got her out I slowly went to turn her on her back to see if she would fight to stay off of it and she just let me do it. She also looks like she’s barely breathing most of the time. I have a vet scheduled for today again, but I’m scared he’s just going to tell me to keep doing the same thing. I’ve been doing this for over a month and she is not improving at all. If anything it looks like she’s getting worse. (I forgot to put this, I put the cream on two times a day and feed her 1 milligram of the supplement four times a day.) I really just want her to be better and figure out what’s wrong. Does anybody have any ideas? Any help would be very appreciated, thank you! I added a picture from around the time when I first got her and then another one from the other night.
Find a better vet please-. www.arav.org
Lighting in the tank is crucial but you must get her into a ER reptile vet

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Did you ever get an official diagnosis from the vet? If he's prescribing potentially ineffective or dangerous medications without telling you what's wrong it's a pretty big red flag that he may not know what he's doing.
See if you can find an emergency reptile vet and take your beardie as soon as you can. Bring the cream you were using so you can show it to the vets there.

I have no idea what the vet was thinking with the silver sulfadiazine (if that's what it is), it's a topical antibiotic and is used for burn wounds. Unless that was her issue, it's probably not doing much for her.

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 75 watt repti basking spot lamp, a reptisun 10.0 mini UVB compact flourescent light, and then I have a 40 watt nano ceramic heat emitter to keep her warm. Should I be using different lights? Or are there better lights I could be using instead?

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did you ever get an official diagnosis from the vet? If he's prescribing potentially ineffective or dangerous medications without telling you what's wrong it's a pretty big red flag that he may not know what he's doing.
See if you can find an emergency reptile vet and take your beardie as soon as you can. Bring the cream you were using so you can show it to the vets there.

I have no idea what the vet was thinking with the silver sulfadiazine (if that's what it is), it's a topical antibiotic and is used for burn wounds. Unless that was her issue, it's probably not doing much for her.
The first time I had gone, he checked over her and then had told me that he believed that it was a parasite problem. That's when I first got the cream. But then the next time I had gone back she had gotten tested for parasites and it came back completely clean. He told me to just keep using the cream on her twice a day though. I'm out of school in 20 minutes so then I can check for sure what the cream is.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 75 watt repti basking spot lamp, a reptisun 10.0 mini UVB compact flourescent light, and then I have a 40 watt nano ceramic heat emitter to keep her warm. Should I be using different lights? Or are there better lights I could be using instead?
Yes get rid of the COIL UVB ASAP-- You need a long tube fixture for a 40 + gallon tank get a 24" w/ reflector-- and a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb--- you may haft to get this on line try www.pangeareptiles.com https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
you need to get this ASAP--- but I would still get her into the vet if you can I sent a website for one please go look -- the temps in the tank for her a baby 105-110 and for a juvie 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons they are inaccurate -- the place I recommended for th UVB sell out very quickly --- they are fast and good the mini compact UVB's are NO good ---

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes get rid of the COIL UVB ASAP-- You need a long tube fixture for a 40 + gallon tank get a 24" w/ reflector-- and a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb--- you may haft to get this on line try www.pangeareptiles.com https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
you need to get this ASAP--- but I would still get her into the vet if you can I sent a website for one please go look -- the temps in the tank for her a baby 105-110 and for a juvie 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer No stick ons they are inaccurate -- the place I recommended for th UVB sell out very quickly --- they are fast and good the mini compact UVB's are NO good ---
Thank you so much, I didn't know that. I'll order those lights today, and I have her going to the vet at 2:10 today. Thank you!

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The first time I had gone, he checked over her and then had told me that he believed that it was a parasite problem. That's when I first got the cream. But then the next time I had gone back she had gotten tested for parasites and it came back completely clean. He told me to just keep using the cream on her twice a day though. I'm out of school in 20 minutes so then I can check for sure what the cream is.
Yeah... Get a new vet if possible. External medication isn't going to fix internal parasites.

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: The vet I had scheduled at 2:10 today called me before I went in and told me to prepare for the possibility of making a hard decision. He wanted to put her down. I still have hope for her and couldn’t accept that. Thankfully I now have a vet appointment tomorrow at 7:30 with a new vet. He wants to get blood work done, ultrasounds, etc. to really try and find out what’s going on. Thank you so much for your guys help. Really hoping and praying this new vet might have an answer

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Update: The vet I had scheduled at 2:10 today called me before I went in and told me to prepare for the possibility of making a hard decision. He wanted to put her down. I still have hope for her and couldn’t accept that. Thankfully I now have a vet appointment tomorrow at 7:30 with a new vet. He wants to get blood work done, ultrasounds, etc. to really try and find out what’s going on. Thank you so much for your guys help. Really hoping and praying this new vet might have an answer
With her being that ill keep your tank over nite warm use your CHE and try and keep temps around 80 over nite it will help keep her immune system up-- make sure shes getting good basking temps during the day 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- I am thinking shes not been getting enough UVB w/ that compact bulb they are terrible for UVB out put and cause all kinds of illnesses -- please get the UVB I have recommended --- did you use the website I gave you?

jadac

Bearded Dragon Egg
With her being that ill keep your tank over nite warm use your CHE and try and keep temps around 80 over nite it will help keep her immune system up-- make sure shes getting good basking temps during the day 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- I am thinking shes not been getting enough UVB w/ that compact bulb they are terrible for UVB out put and cause all kinds of illnesses -- please get the UVB I have recommended --- did you use the website I gave you?
Hi, sorry I'm just getting back. This weekend was a long one. I used the website you gave to find the vet I went to, and I have also ordered the lights you recommended from that website as well. At the vet, he had hydrated and nourished her and just helped her feel a lot better. When we picked her up she had some of her old spunk and personality and it was amazing. She got swabbed for adenovirus and cryptospiridium. The labs come back on Thursday, he believes that she most likely had adenovirus but we won't know for sure until they came back. We had gotten back to my house around 6pm with her, did a feeding before bed, and then went to bed later in the night. The next morning there was something very off about her. We went to feed her and she wouldn't take down any food at all- it just sat in her mouth. We gave her a warm bath to maybe help her feel better or help get it down. She still looked very very off so we put her back in her cage to rest and get some heat. Unfortanutely, she passed away not long after we put her back. This was on Sunday morning. This has been very very hard for me so far. I can't seem to let her go. The only thought that is keeping me at ease that she is no longer in suffering. Thank you all very much for your help, I appreciate it a lot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, sorry I'm just getting back. This weekend was a long one. I used the website you gave to find the vet I went to, and I have also ordered the lights you recommended from that website as well. At the vet, he had hydrated and nourished her and just helped her feel a lot better. When we picked her up she had some of her old spunk and personality and it was amazing. She got swabbed for adenovirus and cryptospiridium. The labs come back on Thursday, he believes that she most likely had adenovirus but we won't know for sure until they came back. We had gotten back to my house around 6pm with her, did a feeding before bed, and then went to bed later in the night. The next morning there was something very off about her. We went to feed her and she wouldn't take down any food at all- it just sat in her mouth. We gave her a warm bath to maybe help her feel better or help get it down. She still looked very very off so we put her back in her cage to rest and get some heat. Unfortanutely, she passed away not long after we put her back. This was on Sunday morning. This has been very very hard for me so far. I can't seem to let her go. The only thought that is keeping me at ease that she is no longer in suffering. Thank you all very much for your help, I appreciate it a lot.
That is terrible I am so sorry-- :( I hope the test that they did something will show as far as what was going on --- I feel terrible -- where did you get her from? I am sure its nothing you did and she could of been sick from the day you got her-- they are masterminds of hiding illnesses etc----------- since you have ordered lights and you want to try again some time down the road please disinfect the tank before use since you dont know what was going on w/ the dragon- you can use some F10 if you can find it this stuff seems to be hard to find - its a vet disinfectant and it lasts a long time or some stuff called Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out -- it would be good to clean the tank real good before use again -- if and when you decide -- but I know its hard to lose them believe me it tears your heart out -- dont beat your self up you did try and sometimes they are just too far gone to help them -- if you need more help please post again and again I am so sorry

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. Take it easy and be gentle with yourself. You gave her so much time and love, it's not your fault that she passed.

Latest posts