• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Not Eating

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon is a male that just turned 1 this January. After his first brumation to present he's not been eating well, and will only occasionally take bugs but refuses leafy greens (although he never really liked them much even when he did eat). It's gotten worse recently as he's not eating at all. He's alert and active but only during his bath time and when he leaves his basking spot for his hide. If not put in basking spot, he won't move from his hide at all. He's not showing signs of stress or parasites, but I'm nervous about his weight and if he continues how it might effect his long-term health. Any suggestions on why or how I might get him to eat? I'm desperate at this point but don't want to do anything like force-feeding until I've explored other avenues. His temps stay around the mid-80's to 90's in basking spot and his humidity occasionally spikes to 50 but usually stays lower than that, though he's also shown no signs of respiratory issues.

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would just like to add though that the temperature is gauged from a cheaper kit thermostat so could be wrong, but he feels warm to touch and pancakes out to get warm so idk.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would just like to add though that the temperature is gauged from a cheaper kit thermostat so could be wrong, but he feels warm to touch and pancakes out to get warm so idk.
Basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- and a UVB should be a tube fixture properly placed w/ placement and distance -- NO COILS -- if any of this is off it will effect their total behavior -- NO COLORED BULBS NO SAND FOR SUBSTRATE NO HEAT MATS OR ROCKS PLEASE --

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- and a UVB should be a tube fixture properly placed w/ placement and distance -- NO COILS -- if any of this is off it will effect their total behavior -- NO COLORED BULBS NO SAND FOR SUBSTRATE NO HEAT MATS OR ROCKS PLEASE --
Will do! But he was eating and doing fine at this temp, and I have all the other things correct. Is there any other reason he might not be eating?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will do! But he was eating and doing fine at this temp, and I have all the other things correct. Is there any other reason he might not be eating?
Something is off post a pic of the tank please

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
Something is off post a pic of the tank please
IMG_3667[1].JPG

sorry about the towels in the back, he likes to sit on them and watch the outside sometimes and I have them so he won't slip. Also, I don't have his bug bowl in there right now cause I don't like to leave bugs in there past the point of less than two hours before bedtime so he can properly digest.

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 30011
sorry about the towels in the back, he likes to sit on them and watch the outside sometimes and I have them so he won't slip. Also, I don't have his bug bowl in there right now cause I don't like to leave bugs in there past the point of less than two hours before bedtime so he can properly digest.
I should also say it just rained so the humidity did spike quite a bit btw.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 30011
How are you getting the basking temp? No IR guns they do not read off of hammocks- the basking light is a bright white no off white or yellowish please and I would get him some more decor pieces to sit on -- check out PetSmart they have great decor for dragons-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
How are you getting the basking temp? No IR guns they do not read off of hammocks- the basking light is a bright white no off white or yellowish please and I would get him some more decor pieces to sit on -- check out PetSmart they have great decor for dragons-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers
Tbh, his bulbs have been burning out quicker than as advertised so do you have a brand you recommend? I'm getting the basking temp as the stick-on thermometer is on that side level with the hammock. But is there a probe thermometer you would recommend as well? I can put more decor in, I have some! Thank you! Will update this when I get them or if anything changes. You've been a huge help.

TRoR33134

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tbh, his bulbs have been burning out quicker than as advertised so do you have a brand you recommend? I'm getting the basking temp as the stick-on thermometer is on that side level with the hammock. But is there a probe thermometer you would recommend as well? I can put more decor in, I have some! Thank you! Will update this when I get them or if anything changes. You've been a huge help.
Also, should i put him on a more superworm heavy diet to help regain weight? I usually just feed staple dubia and mealworm with some crickets (he doesn't really like crickets so I usually avoid them).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What brand basking bulb are you using?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also, should i put him on a more superworm heavy diet to help regain weight? I usually just feed staple dubia and mealworm with some crickets (he doesn't really like crickets so I usually avoid them).
Dubias are great -- w/ him not eating your going to need to go slow feeding him -- start him on salads w/ some BSFL they are a great staple feeder www.symtonbsf.com order large do not dust - add those to the tops of the salads feed around 30 of them -- then feed him about 5 dubia -- they are filling are you feeding large or extra large ? the extra large are going to fill him up so maybe only 3 at a time then feed him again in the afternoon - the BSFL are great for calcium --- NO super worm diet --- you want him to gain weight slowly not fast you want him healthy--- feed him 2 every 2-3 days -- they are treat worms -- what is the humidity in the tank? where is the hygrometer? Humidity should not be below 20 and not above 70% --- good optimal is 20-50%
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...um-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202 get two of them --
No more crickets if he doesnt like them --- meal worms are ok but limit those as well - you want him eating a balanced meal --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
this is a great bowl for feeding BSFL and other worms -- not so much for large dubias tho
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...nse-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 I use these for basking but it is going to be trial and error w/ bulbs make sure you have the digital probe thermometers place the probe where he sits leave 10 min or so get temp 95-100--- I would move the hide to the cool side of the tank get the UVB over the hammock or another piece of decor directly under it 6-8 inches --- you do not need to leave the probe on decor piece you can remove it when done spot check it every now and then or every week -- watch the behavior after getting the temps correct and the UVB -- he should start eating pretty fast --- make sure you dusting those dubias ONCE per feeding ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry for late reply. I have been using the thrive series 100W essential basking bulb and uvb
Please get rid of the Thrive UVB as long as the thrive basking bulb is a bright white it can be used and its keeping basking temps to what they need to be -- the UVB is junk!!!!!!!! Please replace w/ this
for a 40 + gallon tank 24" fixture https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 you will need a 22" Reptisun bulb 10.0 T5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use it as a back up but distance and placement is different from the T 5 replace bulb in 1 year or this fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0= 24" fixture --- replace the bulb in approx 1 year
your dragon will not eat w/ out proper basking temps and it has to be a bright white bulb and properly placed UVB please let me know when you get the UVB and I will help you get it placed in your tank

Latest posts