• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Newbie

Emma Hayes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I have been interested in buying a bearded dragon for probably a year now. I have done much research and found such a big variety of information on them, now that I am just about ready to purchase one, whats some informative advice and experiences I should know about when getting into this?

I will be purchasing an adult beardie, any information from tank set up, to diet, to handling and care would be extremely appreciated! I really would like to mostly get information on tank set up though, since there is such a huge variety in opinion. Like the temp, and what you put in it.

Thank you!
- Emma

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Emma - there shouldn't be too much conflicting info on correct temps for an adult, and most people recommend a bright white basking light as well as a (Reptisun or Arcadia, depending on whether you're in US or UK) long tube (not coil) UVB bulb, but opinions vary on just about everything else. Strongest opinions tend to be about substrate. I think you have to make your own informed choice there. For an adult you'll need a fairly large enclosure (36x18x18 at a minimum, and preferably larger, like 48x24x24). For tank decor, something to cover at least the back, and possibly the sides (inside if you can, to minimize reflection), a hide for each end (hot side, cool side) of the tank, something to climb/bask on, and of course water dish and a dish for greens/veggies.