• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Is Always Basking

Mr.Chicken Nugget

Hatchling Dragon
My bearded dragon is basking almost all day. checked the temperature with a temp gun and it says it is 95 degrees (We have recently got him closer to the light so it should be higher now). I know the temperature was a bit low but I don't think it would cause this. Is this normal behavior for a baby bearded dragon or should I be concerned?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are also pooping.
What size wattage is the bulb your using? And his temps need to be 105-110 for a baby and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- if moving him closer didnt raise the temp then you may need to go to a higher wattage but MAKE SURE you have the digital probe to get temps -- you do not want to burn him up -- and they do bask alot when babies but he needs to be active in the tank as well -- what is the temp in the middle of the tank? do you have any decor pieces in the middle -- cool side of the tank should be 80's middle of tan 90's

Mr.Chicken Nugget

Hatchling Dragon
What size wattage is the bulb your using? And his temps need to be 105-110 for a baby and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- if moving him closer didnt raise the temp then you may need to go to a higher wattage but MAKE SURE you have the digital probe to get temps -- you do not want to burn him up -- and they do bask alot when babies but he needs to be active in the tank as well -- what is the temp in the middle of the tank? do you have any decor pieces in the middle -- cool side of the tank should be 80's middle of tan 90's
It is a 100-watt bulb. I used a temperature gun to get the temperature. I will check the temperature it is in the middle and the cool side of the tank when I get home. I have no decor in the middle. Should I have some?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is a 100-watt bulb. I used a temperature gun to get the temperature. I will check the temperature it is in the middle and the cool side of the tank when I get home. I have no decor in the middle. Should I have some?
And the basking decor piece your using for basking? Is it a hammock? If so the temp gun is not giving accurate temps- you need the probe for that and yes I would get a piece of decor for the middle of the tank

Mr.Chicken Nugget

Hatchling Dragon
And the basking decor piece your using for basking? Is it a hammock? If so the temp gun is not giving accurate temps- you need the probe for that and yes I would get a piece of decor for the middle of the tank
No, I use a fake log for basking. Also, I will make sure to get something for the middle of the tank :).

Mr.Chicken Nugget

Hatchling Dragon
The temperature of the middle of the tank is 82 the cool side is 80.

Mr.Chicken Nugget

Hatchling Dragon
You need to get your basking temps up-- babies need 105-110 temps
Also just to clarify the side with no bulb is the cool side the basking side has a bulb. I will get both sides new bulbs tomorrow. It's almost lights out time anyway where I live.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also just to clarify the side with no bulb is the cool side the basking side has a bulb. I will get both sides new bulbs tomorrow. It's almost lights out time anyway where I live.
Ok make sure your cool side stays in the 80's during the day and middle should be 90's basking side 105-110-- I would get a low wattage for the middle of tank--- or wait and see if the higher wattage basking bulb heats up the middle -

Latest posts