• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon illness help!

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I’m new to this forum and have had my bearded dragon Natsu for 3 years. I noticed today that he has been opening his mouth and making rasping noises from his mouth and noticed one of his nostrils is watery and am extremely worried about him. I would like help as I don’t have a vet near me as to what I could do to help him. PLEASE!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I’m new to this forum and have had my bearded dragon Natsu for 3 years. I noticed today that he has been opening his mouth and making rasping noises from his mouth and noticed one of his nostrils is watery and am extremely worried about him. I would like help as I don’t have a vet near me as to what I could do to help him. PLEASE!
It sounds like a possible RI ---- can you post pics of him please--- and his tank set up --- specifically his UVB - his basking temps and how are you taking them?

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
It sounds like a possible RI ---- can you post pics of him please--- and his tank set up --- specifically his UVB - his basking temps and how are you taking them?
I was worried it would be RI, his basking temp right now is 80, I just got done cleaning his home and gave him some food.
1A354784-803A-47E2-8439-AAD347FB244F.jpeg

Attachments

• A8BB068D-145E-4F20-9A67-BD1D3A31AE59.jpeg
    A8BB068D-145E-4F20-9A67-BD1D3A31AE59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was worried it would be RI, his basking temp right now is 80, I just got done cleaning his home and gave him some food. View attachment 28047
Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and what bulbs are in the domes? Are you using a coil UVB?

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and what bulbs are in the domes? Are you using a coil UVB?
It is a coil UVB, and the basking bulb is Zoo-med 100 W and so the UVB is also 100, should the basking bulb be higher?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is a coil UVB, and the basking bulb is Zoo-med 100 W and so the UVB is also 100, should the basking bulb be higher?
You need to get a actual basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer - place it where he sits for basking leave 10 minutes get temp --- next get rid of the coil UVB ASAP----- Please order this NOW-- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html order the 24" fixture w/ the 12% bulb--- you have improper basking temps and UVB-- the Arcadia is one of the best on the market -- this place I sent you to is good and fast- you should get him into a reptile vet asap- www.arav.org - he will probably need to go on antibiotics - but get your temps and UVB situated ASAP-- when you get the UVB let me know so I can help you get it placed in your tank--- it has certain distance and placement-

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, welcome to the forum, please get rid of the coil uvb, these are unsuitable for bearded dragons (they either offer to much uvb in a concentrated stream, or little to none at all) he needs a long tubular uvb light, basically what @Sadie recommended, can u answer a few questions, what state are u in? does he dunk his head in the water dish? Do u ever mist him? (If he never even goes near the water bowl, id take it out its adding unnecessary humidity to his enclosure.

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to get a actual basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer - place it where he sits for basking leave 10 minutes get temp --- next get rid of the coil UVB ASAP----- Please order this NOW-- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html order the 24" fixture w/ the 12% bulb--- you have improper basking temps and UVB-- the Arcadia is one of the best on the market -- this place I sent you to is good and fast- you should get him into a reptile vet asap- www.arav.org - he will probably need to go on antibiotics - but get your temps and UVB situated ASAP-- when you get the UVB let me know so I can help you get it placed in your tank--- it has certain distance and placement-
Thank you for the help! I will be ordering him a proper UVB, I appreciate the help.

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, welcome to the forum, please get rid of the coil uvb, these are unsuitable for bearded dragons (they either offer to much uvb in a concentrated stream, or little to none at all) he needs a long tubular uvb light, basically what @Sadie recommended, can u answer a few questions, what state are u in? does he dunk his head in the water dish? Do u ever mist him? (If he never even goes near the water bowl, id take it out its adding unnecessary humidity to his enclosure.
Thank you! I’m living in Minnesota, he doesn’t dunk his head in his water dish and barely ever goes near it. I will take it out.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the help! I will be ordering him a proper UVB, I appreciate the help.
Please let me know when you get it so I can help you place it--- in the meantime get your basking temps to 95-100 w/ the digital probe thermometer- he cannot digest his food w/ out proper basking temps or UVB- the UVB and calcium are what prevents mbd- the UVB helps absorb / synthesize the calcium

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I’m living in Minnesota, he doesn’t dunk his head in his water dish and barely ever goes near it. I will take it out.
Thats good he doesn’t, idk that Minnesota is humid or not?

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Your dragon needs a vet. That is a RI and he needs antibiotics.

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your dragon needs a vet. That is a RI and he needs antibiotics.
I understand that, I’m trying my best to find a vet to take Natsu, I’m going to have to take him to one an hour away from me… he’s not the best reptile veterinarian but I’m hoping for the best.

Jiji-01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please let me know when you get it so I can help you place it--- in the meantime get your basking temps to 95-100 w/ the digital probe thermometer- he cannot digest his food w/ out proper basking temps or UVB- the UVB and calcium are what prevents mbd- the UVB helps absorb / synthesize the calcium
Thank you so much for helping me, I appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I understand that, I’m trying my best to find a vet to take Natsu, I’m going to have to take him to one an hour away from me… he’s not the best reptile veterinarian but I’m hoping for the best.
Try this website
www.arav.org

Latest posts