• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon health question

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I have about a 6 or 7 month old dragon and she was perfectly fine 2 days ago but yesterday went into hiding and hasnt come out. She also got pretty aggressive and was puffing up her beard when i was putting the food dish in which she also hasnt touched. She has never done this before and i have had her for a few months now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I have about a 6 or 7 month old dragon and she was perfectly fine 2 days ago but yesterday went into hiding and hasnt come out. She also got pretty aggressive and was puffing up her beard when i was putting the food dish in which she also hasnt touched. She has never done this before and i have had her for a few months now.
Surface basking temps - temps in the tank ambient and uvb are crucial - they control the behavior and health of the dragon- please go over the things I mentioned brand and bulbs and how your getting the surface basking temps--

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
Surface basking temps - temps in the tank ambient and uvb are crucial - they control the behavior and health of the dragon- please go over the things I mentioned brand and bulbs and how your getting the surface basking temps--
I am using all arcadia bulbs i have 1 uvb, one over the basking area and another in the middle. Cool side stays around 26 degrees F or so and the warm side normally stays around 30, i cant get it any warmer for some reason. I have even got a bigger wattage bulb. The basking spot also for some reason gets up to over 40 and its not even that high, i would say more than 12 inches below the bulb and thats because i lowered it to see if the basking temp would come down.

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using all arcadia bulbs i have 1 uvb, one over the basking area and another in the middle. Cool side stays around 26 degrees F or so and the warm side normally stays around 30, i cant get it any warmer for some reason. I have even got a bigger wattage bulb. The basking spot also for some reason gets up to over 40 and its not even that high, i would say more than 12 inches below the bulb and thats because i lowered it to see if the basking temp would come down.
Sorry i meant celcius

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry i meant celcius
You want surface basking temps 95-100 F for a 6 month old dragon and up so I would lower the surface basking temp down to what I posted - is the dragon basking under the 40 C temp at all ? And if she is is she sitting directly under it or off to the side? If she is off to the side its too hot for her -- your UVB is inside the tank? Is there a screen on the tank? What bulb are you using it needs to be a T5 12% bulb

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want surface basking temps 95-100 F for a 6 month old dragon and up so I would lower the surface basking temp down to what I posted - is the dragon basking under the 40 C temp at all ? And if she is is she sitting directly under it or off to the side? If she is off to the side its too hot for her -- your UVB is inside the tank? Is there a screen on the tank? What bulb are you using it needs to be a T5 12%

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
sometimes she sits up there and mostly directly under it until the other day when she started hiding and not eating. The uvb is T5 12% and it is ontop of the screen with the other lights.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sometimes she sits up there and mostly directly under it until the other day when she started hiding and not eating. The uvb is T5 12% and it is ontop of the screen with the other lights.
Your screen must be a wide hole type for it to sit on the screen -- 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor piece- for a fine mesh it needs to be inside the tank or unobstructed directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - screens block 30% of the rays -- adjust your UVB and then see what she does - shes too young to be going into brumation - they will slow down but she still should be eating basking etc---------she is growing -- if the behavior continues after you get the UVB adjusted then post back on here and we then need to explore other options as to why shes hiding and not eating --- the not eating is not good but they will not eat if the temps and the UVB are not on par

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your screen must be a wide hole type for it to sit on the screen -- 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor piece- for a fine mesh it needs to be inside the tank or unobstructed directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - screens block 30% of the rays -- adjust your UVB and then see what she does - shes too young to be going into brumation - they will slow down but she still should be eating basking etc---------she is growing -- if the behavior continues after you get the UVB adjusted then post back on here and we then need to explore other options as to why shes hiding and not eating --- the not eating is not good but they will not eat if the temps and the UVB are not on par
This is the enclosure i have, i dont think the holes on top are really fine but maybe they are.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026_130915_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231026_130915_Chrome.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 1

methodical9

Bearded Dragon Egg
She is so weird, yesterday she came out of hiding and wasnt pissed any more, ate a bunch of food and was back to normal the whole day. This morning she is hiding and is pissed again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is so weird, yesterday she came out of hiding and wasnt pissed any more, ate a bunch of food and was back to normal the whole day. This morning she is hiding and is pissed again.
Did you get the UVB adjusted in the tank? They have their days- different personalities -- is she a juvenile? 8 months or so?

Latest posts