• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon has stomach mass

Do I decide to operate on him?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beardedtoothless

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! My bearded dragons name is Toothless, he just turned 6. One month ago I took him to the vet because he has had sores on either side of his mouth for about 6 months but it finally looked severe enough to get a professionals opinion. I had done my research and thought it could possibly be mouth rot. Unfortunately it turned out to be much worse. Back story, we have had to syringe feed my beardie for the past 2 years or so because he refuses to eat vegetables on his own. I thought the sores could be from repeated syringe feedings but turns out that he is much sicker than I initially thought. The vet noticed some loose fluid in his abdomen and took a sample to examine it. It’s a red/yellow mix that she suggested could be for a number of reasons. We opted for antibiotics and a recheck in one month which brings us to his appointment yesterday morning. Mind you, he has been eating normally and acting the same ever since. If it wasn’t for the physical mouth sores I would have never known something was off. At his recheck, the vet noticed a mass in his abdomen. So either one, he didn’t have it at his last visit, or it was somehow missed or could have just grown significantly since the month prior. The vet suggested we euthanize him so he won’t be in pain or suffer. But I physically could not do it, he isn’t showing signs of distress or misery. She agreed and I took him home. Now my question is whether to continue trying to test him for other issues. I’m located in Michigan but a vet in Toledo has an ultrasound which could help diagnose the mass and the severity. Has anyone heard of successful operations to remove such a mass? Is this a battle we could try to beat or am I just prolonging the inevitable? He also has lost 20grams of weight since last months check up. Now he definitely is on the larger side in general and they changed his diet so he is actually pooping much more than he used too. (Now once a day maybe two times compared to maybe once/twice a week). Please help, I love him so much and I’m so torn on what to do. My heart wants what’s best for him.

Attachments

• D48B2FDD-886F-4E8D-8B0B-B1396D7BCCA1.jpeg
    D48B2FDD-886F-4E8D-8B0B-B1396D7BCCA1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44

Beardedtoothless

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poor baby I feel for you and him and I know how attached people get to them -- I want you take your post and go to this website and ask what you have asked here --- on this forum you will find experienced people along w/ a vet moderator --- she can help you -- do you have any of the blood work done or any xrays done -- if you do post them -- Tracie the vet mod is really good at reading xrays and blood work and she can advise as to what to do ---- it is not uncommon for them to get cancer --- and I am thinking this might what it could be but I am not an expert just a guess --- and yes there have been operations that have been done some successful some not so much ---
www.beardeddragon.org
Thank you for your response. I just created a post on that website as well. I’m just so lost as I’m used to caring for cats and dogs and not reptiles. He’s been my buddy for so long but I don’t want him to suffer. But in the other hand if he has a fighting chance I would absolutely do whatever was necessary to help him.

Latest posts