• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bearded dragon extreme shed on beard

Slize2604

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello my beardie of 8 months has a really weird grey spot on her beard for a few months andi don’t know what it is i’ve soaked her with war water i’ve tried so much stuff and nothing seems to get rid off it and she’s also went through like 3 sheds since the grey spot can someone help me please is this something. i should be concerned about??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello my beardie of 8 months has a really weird grey spot on her beard for a few months andi don’t know what it is i’ve soaked her with war water i’ve tried so much stuff and nothing seems to get rid off it and she’s also went through like 3 sheds since the grey spot can someone help me please is this something. i should be concerned about??
That is some weird shed --- it looks really thick --- what kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a long tube fixture? Are you using a heat rock or any type of heating pad?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is some weird shed --- it looks really thick --- what kind of UVB are you using? A coil or a long tube fixture? Are you using a heat rock or any type of heating pad?
What all methods were used on the beard to try to help it shed ? Soaking or scrubbing is never really needed, unfortunately the internet is full of wrong info that tells people that a dragon needs " help" to shed when it really doesn't.
Another possibility is that the dragon had some type of fungus there and it came off as a scab. Was there a scab in that area ? It looks as if it was either rubbed raw or a scab came off. The best thing to put on there is raw honey but you have to be 100 % sure there's no live insects hiding in the tank, they become active at night and would go right for the wound and the honey.

Slize2604

Bearded Dragon Egg
i’m using a long tube fixture and no heat rock or heatint pad i can show the tank setup if you want and what would your suggestions to be
What all methods were used on the beard to try to help it shed ? Soaking or scrubbing is never really needed, unfortunately the internet is full of wrong info that tells people that a dragon needs " help" to shed when it really doesn't.
Another possibility is that the dragon had some type of fungus there and it came off as a scab. Was there a scab in that area ? It looks as if it was either rubbed raw or a scab came off. The best thing to put on there is raw honey but you have to be 100 % sure there's no live insects hiding in the tank, they become active at night and would go right for the wound and the honey.
nah there never been a scab there it just came randomly idk where from and yh i just gave her a bath but that’s good to know it doesn’t really do much and also no heat pad or anything the scab now looks like she’s scraped it on something

Slize2604

Bearded Dragon Egg
is there. q way to get rid of that or will it just go with time cause feels. bit worried about i

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is there. q way to get rid of that or will it just go with time cause feels. bit worried about i
The best thing to put on there is raw honey but you have to be 100 % sure there's no live insects hiding in the tank, they become active at night and would go right for the wound and the honey. Your UVB plays a huge part in the scales /skin health -- what is the brand and bulb of the UVB your using? And the placement is crucial - your screen is going to determine that- fine mesh screens block approx 30% of the rays so it would need to be unobstructed - a wide hole type it can sit on the screen but your distance is going to be different from no blockage of screen

Slize2604

Bearded Dragon Egg
The best thing to put on there is raw honey but you have to be 100 % sure there's no live insects hiding in the tank, they become active at night and would go right for the wound and the honey. Your UVB plays a huge part in the scales /skin health -- what is the brand and bulb of the UVB your using? And the placement is crucial - your screen is going to determine that- fine mesh screens block approx 30% of the rays so it would need to be unobstructed - a wide hole type it can sit on the screen but your distance is going to be different from no blockage of screen
Hi sorry for the late response i’ve been really busy and haven’t had the time and i’ve put some honey and there no insects and i’m not sure of the brand i’m using for the bulb but i know it’s a really good one cuz i researches it a lot before buying and i placed it at the top with the thing u put it in

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi sorry for the late response i’ve been really busy and haven’t had the time and i’ve put some honey and there no insects and i’m not sure of the brand i’m using for the bulb but i know it’s a really good one cuz i researches it a lot before buying and i placed it at the top with the thing u put it in
Please look on the bulb itself look for the brand and the bulb T 5 or a T 8 it will be on the bottom of the writing -- your screen will determine where the UVB needs to be placed and distanced ---- fine screen mesh like a screen door it needs to be in the tank --- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - if its a wide hole type it can stay on top w/distance of 8-10 inches BUT this is for a T 5 --------- T 8's are not as strong and will need to be in the tank or unobstructed - the rays will be blocked 30% w/ a fine screen and more so w/ a T 8 -- this is extremely important for skin / scales

Slize2604

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please look on the bulb itself look for the brand and the bulb T 5 or a T 8 it will be on the bottom of the writing -- your screen will determine where the UVB needs to be placed and distanced ---- fine screen mesh like a screen door it needs to be in the tank --- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - if its a wide hole type it can stay on top w/distance of 8-10 inches BUT this is for a T 5 --------- T 8's are not as strong and will need to be in the tank or unobstructed - the rays will be blocked 30% w/ a fine screen and more so w/ a T 8 -- this is extremely important for skin / scales
i have a arcadia 12% 39V T5 uvb and its wide hole and its around 10” on top w distance

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have a arcadia 12% 39V T5 uvb and its wide hole and its around 10” on top w distance
thats good ---- :)---how old is the bulb? It should not be over 11 months old- I always recommend they change out at 10-11 months

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yh what it’s decent what do you think that white mark on her is do you think i should be concerned about it do you think i should try getting it off as for the scab just put raw honey etc?
What has she been resting her head on? Is the honey starting to work- can you get a clearer picture of it

Latest posts