• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon concerns

LukeJlord

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!

Im new to bearded dragons but have kept other reptiles in the past and have just re-homed a beardie from some friends who could no longer give her enough attention but are having lots of difficulty with her so far.

A bit of background on her... her first owners starved her and trapped her tail in the glass meaning she has a much shorter tail which can be seen in the photos. She has always been kept on calc sand and for quite a while was without UVB light too.

When we adopted her our local pet shop who we get our food from had just had her board with them for a few weeks and had put her on birch chipping and told us to do the same now we had her as the sand wasnt doing her any good. She has been on birch chippings for about 3 weeks now and for the past few months has had a bright red basking bulb which has also been way too strong and caused her tank to get too hot as we didnt have a temperature controlled thermostat. Her basking bulb has also been left on 24/7 and her uvb bulb was on for around 14 hours a day.

After doing lots of research im finding out that red bulbs are really bad along with the substrate being bad for her too.

She spends most of her day trying to climb up the sides of the walls or clawing at the glass, what does this mean please and is this a bad sign?

Her last owner were feeding her 10 locust every other day too, shes is around 3 years old and weights 235g if i remember right

I have now ordered some reptile carpet, put a new bulb in today and a habistat thermostat, timer and sterile floor till we can get her poo tested in a few weeks. She goes for a poo probably every other day but is quite often very lethargic and slow. We get her out for a run around most day too but just want to make sure we are doing right by her.

I have also noticed tonight that her jaw seems slightly offset too which is worrying me a bit....

https://ibb.co/nsZ9kK
https://ibb.co/eHUaQK
https://ibb.co/gcG5QK

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
congrats to you for taking on this beardie. Looks like you have figured out most of the things that were wrong and have taken appropriate steps to correct them. What kind of UVB are you using? this could also need changing if its a compact coil or over 6 months old. There are some good posts on lighting here you should take a peek at. Foodwise, she should be eating a lot of veggies other than insects, roughly 80% of her diet should be veg.
She looks quite healthy in the pics, if she is lethargic she could be too cold. Glass surfing is quite normal, it can mean she is bored but they seem to mostly do it to annoy you...some do it for hours at a time.

Keep it up LukeJlord, you're doing great

LukeJlord

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im not sure what type of uvb it is im going to ask the shop this week when they deliver our grub but it was only put in 2 weeks ago cause his last owners hadnt had him under one for a considerably long time.

We are giving her veg every day fresh but she just isnt eating it at all so are feeding her locusts and roaches plenty of bits to gut loads them.

Thats good to know that its perfectly normal then! Someone has hust offered us a dimming thermostat instead of an on/off which is going to be so much better for her too

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!

Im new to bearded dragons but have kept other reptiles in the past and have just re-homed a beardie from some friends who could no longer give her enough attention but are having lots of difficulty with her so far.

A bit of background on her... her first owners starved her and trapped her tail in the glass meaning she has a much shorter tail which can be seen in the photos. She has always been kept on calc sand and for quite a while was without UVB light too.

When we adopted her our local pet shop who we get our food from had just had her board with them for a few weeks and had put her on birch chipping and told us to do the same now we had her as the sand wasnt doing her any good. She has been on birch chippings for about 3 weeks now and for the past few months has had a bright red basking bulb which has also been way too strong and caused her tank to get too hot as we didnt have a temperature controlled thermostat. Her basking bulb has also been left on 24/7 and her uvb bulb was on for around 14 hours a day.

After doing lots of research im finding out that red bulbs are really bad along with the substrate being bad for her too.

She spends most of her day trying to climb up the sides of the walls or clawing at the glass, what does this mean please and is this a bad sign?

Her last owner were feeding her 10 locust every other day too, shes is around 3 years old and weights 235g if i remember right

I have now ordered some reptile carpet, put a new bulb in today and a habistat thermostat, timer and sterile floor till we can get her poo tested in a few weeks. She goes for a poo probably every other day but is quite often very lethargic and slow. We get her out for a run around most day too but just want to make sure we are doing right by her.

I have also noticed tonight that her jaw seems slightly offset too which is worrying me a bit....

https://ibb.co/nsZ9kK
https://ibb.co/eHUaQK
https://ibb.co/gcG5QK

Glad that you have her now and you are trying to give her a good life that she deserves..
Unless her tank gets below 65F you want to have all lights go off at night as they need the temp drop at night to "reset" their bodies. If it gets below 65F then I would get a CHE (ceramic heating element) that you would put on a thermostat. So no colored bulbs at all as they don't allow their eyes to function correctly and if on at night it will cast shadows possibly alerting them to predators which won't let them fully rest.
Have you had her seen by a exotic vet that see's reptiles? Have you had her poop tested for parasites?
The jaw thing is likely because she didn't have proper UVB lighting and lack of supplements when she was growing up.
What is the tank temps? It's possible she is telling you it's too hot in there, or that she just wants out to explore.. Are you sure she is a she and not a he?
if you take a look at the links below several of our comments we have put together a ton of info on all areas of their care that may be of help for you.. The info is also found in the general care section..

LukeJlord

Bearded Dragon Egg
Her tank generally doesnt go below 21 at night on the cool side so its doing okay so far.

We are going to get her into a vets asap but its gonna cost about £45 for the consult so gotta get that together and a fecal test is on our list of jobs to get done but again that will be about £30+

Daytime we keep the tank at 36 in the basking spot and 25 in the cool end.

Strangely enough we were given her and told she was male but after close inspection by us and a pet shop we have determined that shes a she.

Ill have a look for those links i just want to do the best by her that we can. Thank you!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her tank generally doesnt go below 21 at night on the cool side so its doing okay so far.

We are going to get her into a vets asap but its gonna cost about £45 for the consult so gotta get that together and a fecal test is on our list of jobs to get done but again that will be about £30+

Daytime we keep the tank at 36 in the basking spot and 25 in the cool end.

Strangely enough we were given her and told she was male but after close inspection by us and a pet shop we have determined that shes a she.

Ill have a look for those links i just want to do the best by her that we can. Thank you!
Ok so 36C is only 96.8F so I would bump it up closer to 100F so that's 38C and see if she acts a bit differently.

LukeJlord

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunately the thermostat i currently have is limited at 36 which is annoying considering it was recommended for our setup but we are hoping to get another one soon. Thanks

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unfortunately the thermostat i currently have is limited at 36 which is annoying considering it was recommended for our setup but we are hoping to get another one soon. Thanks
You can achieve higher temps without using a thermostat, using a ceramic based dome you are totally safe using regular light bulbs for their basking..For example I have 2 dragons and they have 40g breeder tanks each are using 50 watt regular house bulbs for their basking areas and a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB set up and their temps are 100-104F in the basking area and dips to 74F in the cool side at night.
Can you post a picture of your set up

LukeJlord

Bearded Dragon Egg
Before we had a thermostat it was getting to like 46 and higher which i thought was a bit too high.

Heres a pic of the setup, its 45" x 19" x 17" but we are keeping our eyes out for a larger one too. https://ibb.co/bOf77z

Latest posts