• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beard turned black

aberdare

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Had my boy about 2months,now 5 months old.Got up this morning and his beard and throat are black.Tempratures are 110 and 85, eating well, greens and crickets and locust.Is this normal.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded dragons will display black beards during mating or as a sign of dominance. Nothing to worry about. Your temps are fine.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup they can do that. Normally not that young, but all beardies are different. Did he calm down and go back to normal coloring?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yip, a black beard can be scary. At least to me it was. Saw one in real life today for the first time at a pet store. The male was head bobbing and black bearding like crazy.

P has never black bearded (Thank goodness) , think its cos shes a she . . . . . it only goes greyish in the mornings when she wakes up and is still getting warm. Then for the rest of the day its creamy white bellies and beards over here.

aberdare

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Back to normal tonight,would no eat this morning,gave him a bath, then left him be.Tonight he ate 20 to 30 crickets and beard normal.Many thanks for help :D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds good. If it happens again, see if there is a common denominator (dog around during feeding time, new picture, nature show on TV, etc.)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if this helps you any. Oscar black beards he food, he does it to his crickets and salad. He also does it when he hears anything that sounds like a bird.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have 2 small kids with toys that make lots of noise. The see n' say drives Oscar crazy. If he ears any type of tweet or chirp he black beards.

Laura

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Yip, a black beard can be scary. At least to me it was. Saw one in real life today for the first time at a pet store. The male was head bobbing and black bearding like crazy.

P has never black bearded (Thank goodness) , think its cos shes a she . . . . . it only goes greyish in the mornings when she wakes up and is still getting warm. Then for the rest of the day its creamy white bellies and beards over here.

this sounds exactly like our Sydney (she's a girl too)

Latest posts