• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

beard puffing behaviour normal?

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a 3year old female who the last couple nights puffs up her beard and looks like she is choking or gagging but hasnt eaten around the time she is doing this,Is this normal? And why do they do this?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it that she "looks" like she is choking or is she making puffing wheezing noises?
If she is just flexing her beard out it could be her shedding and she is just loosening up the skin on her beard
If she is making a wheezing/choking noise than it could possibly be a URI (upper respiratory infection) in which case i would tell you to take her to a qualified vet and have her looked at.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Puffing can be a normal feature of bearded dragons. It is typically a show of dominance when they puff and their beard turns black. It is said to mean that they want to mate, are being territorial or are genuinely upset about something.

However, puffing with gagging as you describe could be a respiratory infection. If this is the case, I recommend getting her to a vet. It is usually treatable with antibiotics and raising the temps in your viv. Some other symptoms to look for are forced exhalation of air, puffy appearance of the body and lack of appetite.

You mentioned that she does eat during these episodes, but how is her overall eating?

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Iv only had her 4 days now i took her in after the last owner realized he wasnt caring for her properly, hence why she is underweight and only just shy of 16" at 3 years old. she isnt persay gagging it just looks like she is but she is puffing up her beard and it has been black lately I figure she probably is pissy and upset over the move, she has been eating well got her to eat a dozen crickets yesterday and she loves her salad especially red pepper in it. I dont notice her skin shedding yet but it is possible that could be coming. Thank you. I will keep an eye out for those other synptoms though in case it is I had her at the vet the day I picked her up and she was cleared other than being undernurished.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If she is not gagging and wheezing for breath, then it most likely is relocation stress. The length of time varies per beardie. Most have been known to last anywhere from a couple of days to 2 weeks.

It's great that she is eating. Keep us posted!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you mentioned night..........but what time exactly?

the reaction is also described in thermoregulation behavior

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok lol nother question she was puffing her beard up agian this morning but she wasnt making any weird or weezing noises you all tod me to watch for, bt now all day she has been sitting with her mouth gaped open I remember something about heat regulating is that the ony reason they do that?
She has eaten about 10 crickets so far today and munched on her salad oh make that 11 crickets lol.
Im thinking she could shed soon she doesnt have the extra rolls of skin she had when i picked her up she has filled out since her 1st bath even possiby was dehydrated a bit and has eaten like carzy the last few days I was gonna try to weigh her today. other than the puffing and now gaping she seems fine alert and active. :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As they are cold blooded creatures and do not have the ability to self-regulate their temperatures. So when they "gape" that is their way of thermo-regulating their body temperature.

Latest posts