• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beach Sand media

DrBwell

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in Florida and sand is everywhere. I’m considering using dry beach sand for my beardie. I think this will be good considering bearded dragons live on beaches and in the desert of Australia. Any thoughts?

DrBwell

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I get what you’re saying, I disagree to a point. I go regularly to a Exotic Reptile store in Jacksonville, and they only use sand and never have issues with it. Sand is of course scoopable.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Barry, it may actually be illegal to take sand from the beach here in Florida. If the shop you mentioned is Xtreme Exotics, yes, they use ReptiSand, and they are highly experienced keepers/emthusiasts.
I'm not a "no sand ever" person - I do think if you choose to use it, the rest of your husbandry needs to be very much on point.
I prefer washed/rinsed, and oven-baked (to sanitize) children's play sand over any of the calcium sands, but in my experience, as you yourself noted, sand gets everywhere. My beardie didn't eat it, but there was always a light dusting of it on his skin. I imagine that may not have been very comfortable. I hated the reptile carpets, and didn't love slate tile, so when I stopped using sand I tried non-adhesive textured shelf liner. The one I have now is sort of rubbery and more waterproof than the first one I tried. I'm pleased with the current one.
In any case, if you do choose sand, be sure to sanitize it well, and then be extremely vigilant with the lighting, temps, and nutrition for your beardie.

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with Kaylyn on this one, and so does my Certified Reptile Vet, and the majority of the experienced bearded dragon comunity. Sand is a very bad choice for Beardies, even the so called calci sand or repti sand are just gimmicks that vendors put out there to try to make a sale. I use paper towels myself, they aren't the prettiest but they are the easiest, the other options Kaylyn mentioned are great as well.

But if you really don't mind taking the risk of possibly causing your bearded dragon some major issues at some point in his life fell free to ignore all the advice out there about how sand is a bad medium for bearded dragons.

Latest posts