• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bath time

Andrea webb

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. Marley is starting to protest when it's bath time. He's thrashing about like a crazy one, water all over. I've got the temp right, nice and shallow, he gets wrapped up in a fluffy towel afterwards. Any ideas?? He's starting to smell like a teenager.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
And like a teenager he's gonna protest it........ So unless he's smashing his head off the side of the tub or whatever you bathe him in. Than why worry.

Maybe also try to hold him while he's in the water. Support his belly. Make it a little deeper so waters to his arm pits when your holding him. Get it used to it.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
It dnt uave to b to shallow like luvthemanimal sed up to the armpit. Have u tried puttin a log/bowl in the water with him that hes familiar with. And keep hold of him till he settles dwn he mite just feel a little unsafe In the water ;) gud luk keep tryin.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
From what I'm gathering he used to be OK with baths but now isn't? Getting a little older sometimes they do go through a bit of behavior change. (teenagers... urgh) Make sure the water is a good temp, not too deep (no higher than his armpit), and keep your hand or something else he can find "security" in right there near him. He may stay fussy, so let him. You're the mommy and you say he needs his soakings so that's just the way it is! :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yep, put a log or something in the water so he has a spot he feels safe or put your hand in the water and let him hold on to you. Putting your hand in the water serves another purpose too, it helps him bond with you. If he can hold on to your hand and realize that nothing bad is going to happen in the bath then he will realize that outside the bath, you are his security.

Dexter didn't like baths at first and by accident I found out she liked showers. She will run under the shower head, tilt her head up, close her eyes and let the water run down her body. It's the cutest thing!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No problem! I should also say, I don't know where you give him a bath, but Dexter always fought me when I gave her a bath in the kitchen sink or in a dish pan. Once I put her in the tub and she had a little more room to run she started to get better.

Latest posts