• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bath time hissing.

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
So I just gave my dragon a much needed bath and I don't have a problem with him hissing at me when hes pissy but I have never heard him hiss so i cant tell if he's hissing or like coughing or something weird. I know he has his beard puffed out and he can't even see me in the room where his tank is and hes still making the hissing/coughing sound. I would just leave the room for the night and let him be but his tank is set up in the computer room. its the only room with the extra space for his tank and stand. I just put up some paper towels around his tank so he cant see me and my girlfriend. Should I take them down or leave them up? On a side note I saw him drink for the first time while he was in his bath and he shoved his whole snout nostrils and all under the water. Now that i think of it he didn't even his/cough until after he did that. hes a weird little guy. Any advice? If its just hissing because hes unhappy I can deal with that no problem. Just wanted to know if they can even cough.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there, They dont typically hiss but can. If his beard is out constantly and you are hearing him breath...Something aint right whether if it is something serious like an RI, illness or maybe just something with the room he is not agreeing with. To rule out each.

RI:
Would be best to take him to a vet for confirmation.
Things that suggest Ri: Excessive swallowing, More saliva present than normal or even bobbles at the side of mouth or nostrils, head pointed vertically, breathing heavy, you may hear crackling or popping while breathing, lack in appetite, basking much more than normal. You may see one or two or even many of these symptoms at once.

Something ticking him off.
Who knows what this will be. could be what you wear, things around room or wall, other reptiles/mammals/birds, etc. This is just something you will have to play around with.

Illness:
A vet is your only option here as it could anything but without proper test's it just a guessing game.

Latest posts