• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bath Time Blues

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Today Charlie has been acting weird, I'll start at the beginning. They've never had worms of any sort and yesterday I was having trouble getting hoppers so I got a tray of Morio worms. I fed them both hoppers and Morio worms yesterday, they both enjoyed them. Today however neither of them have ate anything at all, they've refused bugs, worms, and veg. It's weird because neither of them have refused food before. So I decided that maybe they were a little blocked up and gave Nibbler a bath, he was fine, he then got out when he'd had enough went back into his viv and basked for a while, he did a normal poop earlier today but he's not ate. Then Charlie, earlier today he did a tiny little poop, normally it's brown and very mundane but today it was jet black but still fully formed. Anyway bath time, he reluctantly gets into the water tries his best to escape, the water was just below his arm pits, he shed lots of skin heavily in to the water, on the final attempt to escape the water I as usual place him gently back into the middle of the water, and he proceeds to lie down flat his whole head submerged I scooped him up out of the water practically as soon as the water touched his nose but still he pushed down on to my hand, I get him into my other hand into the towel and dry him off, he's wriggling desperately in my hand very similar to a snake wiggles about, and I'm panicking at this point the only thing I can think to do is let him bask and dry off properly. He gets into his viv puffed up and black bearded obviously annoyed and I left him for a while, 10 mins maybe, watching him to make sure he's ok, I opened his viv up and stroked him gently and he calmed instantly beard dispersed and he climbed up on to my hand, I let him sit out with me for about an hour and got my first proper cuddle from him, which was lovely, he seems really normal but he's still not ate. they are both almost 11 weeks old growing good and seem healthy. What was he doing?! I have no idea and would love to know what you all think about the water escapade and the worms, where they the cause of the lack of appetite? I'm leaning towards him being itchy in the bath but as I say I'm just not sure...:confused:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs can safely submerge for short periods of time. There are many that seem to enjoy an underwater swim ;) . As for the worms & eating, super or morio worms are a little harder to digest so may take a little longer to go through the system, which is part of the reason it is generally suggested not to feed them to young BDs. This may be what is affecting their appetite, that they are taking longer to digest. If fed at all, your temps should be spot on to aid the digestion process.

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
They both seem ok now I've had no other feeding problems Charlie had some supper the same night and Nibbler was patrolling for breakfast before his lights were on :rolleyes: I didn't realize they could submerge :oops: Thanks guys

Latest posts