• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

basking

colin

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie always bask under the Powersun with his mouth half open. Is this normal?

This is very normal behaviour, as mentioned above it is how they regulate their body temperature "cool down" effectively.

Normally if the mouth gapping does not work they will move to the cooler end of the viv..

Just out of interest what temperatures is the basking area and the cool end of your viv and what size viv do you have ?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh its.fine it regulates there body temps. Some beardies move.to a cooler.spot others gape there mouths :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd love to see a photo of him basking with his mouth open! ;) :) :eek:

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I only have a pic of the female with her mouth open but not the male, I'll snap one when I see it.
uploadfromtaptalk1402275927076.jpg

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I am. I asked the breeder. He said that she was in a cage with her brothers and they were about the same size as him. I am also keeping a close eye on them and making sure they are both fed well

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I also have multiple good basking spots so they don't have to fight over one. She also waved her arm at him to show her sensitive side. ;)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Lovely pics. But yet id watch them in the viv togetha. They dnt like to b house togetha. And females can get real moody when laying. When it comes.to her laying id advise u to take him out. :) she may jeep hold of the eggs longer than nedded if she has another beardie with her :)

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Gaping is sort of like fine tuning for them. It happens when the brain has reached a certain desired temperature but the body is still warming up. The gaping keeps the head (brain) from getting any hotter while the rest of the body gets up to desired temperature.

Latest posts