• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Temps - Not Hot Enough

novarei

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all!

I had my dragon's enclosure set up all nice and neat and all the temps were good, etc! But then I moved him to a new apartment recently since I moved temporarily due to COVID, etc. And even though I set everything up as similarily as I could, something about the basking area means the temps are like 15-20 degrees colder! I can't figure out why. I'm guessing that the couple of inches lost between the ceramic heat emitter and the basking area in this new config is enough to do it.

So now my basking area is around 85-89.

I have a 100 w ceramic heat emitter in a wire cage sitting on top of 1/2 inch hardware cloth. The lamp/cage I have is this one (the "small" version): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DIAYI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Is there a different wire cage someone knows of that might be smaller so the ceramic heat emitter is closer to the hardware cloth? Would a 160w ceramic emitter make the difference here? Should I be using a different heating method entirely since I can't get the ceramic emitter as close? etc!

It had mattered a lot to me initially that the ceramic emitter did not emit any light, since he was in my bedroom. That's not the case at current, he's in a different room of the house, so I could switch to a different method if that's what will do the trick!

His basking area is also a hammock - I know some sort of solid surface might retain heat better, but this is what I'm working with for now!

Ideas?

novarei

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm partial to the ceramic heat emitter because it's what I'm used to, but by all means anything that will work best for Dune!

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
A basking light would be best. Mimics what they do in the wild to warm up. But you might have to play with your heat emitter a bit to get temps where they need to be. Use a digital temp probe or temp gun to check basking spot temps :)

Latest posts