• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Temp Question

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all! I have a 2 mo BD, who is very healthy and gaining steady weight. When I first got him, the basking temp would be around 105-107°F, but it has dropped down to 95-97°F. I think the bulb died off a little bit within the last few weeks, or it is just a bit colder in my room. I am currently using a 75w spot lamp and I am wondering if I need to get a 100w bulb to get up to the 105-110° range. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all! I have a 2 mo BD, who is very healthy and gaining steady weight. When I first got him, the basking temp would be around 105-107°F, but it has dropped down to 95-97°F. I think the bulb died off a little bit within the last few weeks, or it is just a bit colder in my room. I am currently using a 75w spot lamp and I am wondering if I need to get a 100w bulb to get up to the 105-110° range. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!
What size tank?
Please use a digital probe thermometer- you want that temp for her 105-110 and getting it w/ the digital- please No day bulbs they are a neoydium-- you want a CLEAR bright white bulb

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
What size tank?
Please use a digital probe thermometer- you want that temp for her 105-110 and getting it w/ the digital- please No day bulbs they are a neoydium-- you want a CLEAR bright white bulb
I have a 20 gal for now, and I’m using a temperature gun for accurate heat readings. I know I have the right bulb, I’m just asking if changing the wattage would be best for getting into the right range

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 20 gal for now, and I’m using a temperature gun for accurate heat readings. I know I have the right bulb, I’m just asking if changing the wattage would be best for getting into the right range
You can try moving decor pieces to see if that helps or a try another 75 watt the bulb may be old I used a 75 in my 20 gallon and it was fine -- if it still does not help then go up but the smaller tanks are hard to get and keep temps in --- temp guns are good but NOT as accurate a digital probe thermometer PLEASE GET ONE-- before you up that wattage --- I dont want you burning her up ---- what kind of decor are you using for basking if its a hammock temp guns WILL NOT read off of the them and certain materials as well thats why I want you to get 2 digital probes thermometers -- one for the basking side and one for the cool side your going to need them when she goes into a bigger tank like a 75-120 gallon also when getting the temp please place the probe on the spot where she sits for basking you want surface temps not air temps -- wait 10 min or so and then look at the temp --

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay thanks!! I’ll look into the thermometer. I will 100% be moving him into a larger tank, but he’s still very small. He has a real rock for basking and it’s good at retaining the heat. Thank you!

Latest posts