• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Spot Trouble

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
This post is mainly aimed at Germ because he knows my setup quite well but any other opinions are welcome :) Germ! Willow keeps sitting directly under her "new" basking light (its much smaller than the previous one) but has a slightly longer neck on the bulb. Rather than on the piece of bark i place a good distance between the heat source and the UVB bulb, she will sit in this position all day other than going to the other side of the viv to occasionally cool down this is where she basks when she wants heat.

205txsi.jpg

I love this viv for Willow but the major thing that i really have a problem with is how low the ceiling is >.< its not ideal at all for the positioning of a basking light!!!

My question is what would you recommend, moving the UVB over where she is sitting? or moving the basking bulb over the bark? or completely removing the bark so she is a safer distance from the basking bulb? if the UVB bulb fits width ways i could always consider that too?

My main concern is that day after day she isn't being exposed to the centre of the UVB bulb because the positioning is wrong! any advice would be amazing.

ALSO: Its a new bulb but temperatures are consistent and correct, the hottest point of the viv directly under the basking spot is measuring 100 currently, as the heat moves to the cool side there is a gradient that finally ends up at 78

Here is an overall view of her viv:

2ufrn1l.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd put a thin flat rock or piece of slate on the floor to absorb some heat to bask on & position the UVB as Best I could to cover where she basks. Possibly angled from the back corner towards the front, would likely work well. Maybe move the bark a few inches to the left to get away from the bulb.

Reactions: Jp

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
that sounds like a good idea :) out of interest, do rocks like slate get too hot under a basking light? i don't want to risk burning her belly! -the bark is constantly creeping to the left out of fear its too close to the bulb, i think its time to admit defeat and switch it for something else!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No it wouldn't unless maybe it was a really dark/black one. A medium dark one would work great.

Latest posts