• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Platform Heat

Bulldog53

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, set up my enclosure for a bearded dragon almost a year ago and finally got a beardie on Friday, March 11. I had a question about the heat of Wally's basking platform. I switched yesterday morning from a smaller basking platform to a higher one that was nicer than the one that I had previously bought. I noticed yesterday afternoon/evening that Wally was standing on his back legs and against the glass while on top of the rock. I then felt the platform and it seemed rather hot. I then opted to move the basking bulb off center from the platform so it was not directly over it. My question is how hot should the surface of the platform be? I plan on investing in a infrared/laser thermometer and some digital probe thermometers to better monitor the temperatures. Thanks for any help in advance.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Get an IR Temp gun that will give you the best measurement of heat. If Wally is a baby then the temp on his basking spot should be 107 degrees. A juvenile 100 degrees and an adult 95 degrees.

Bulldog53

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get an IR Temp gun that will give you the best measurement of heat. If Wally is a baby then the temp on his basking spot should be 107 degrees. A juvenile 100 degrees and an adult 95 degrees.
Thanks! He is a baby. I saw where the basking area should be between 105-110° but wasn't sure if that was air temp or surface temp.

And if I wanted to add extra lighting with low to no heat on the cool side what kind of bulb should be used? Just a household incandescent bulb?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A household incandescent bulb would work or a halogen flood light.

Latest posts