• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Lights

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg
How long do basking lights typically last? I have a bearded dragon in my classroom. I have his uv, basking, and night lamp all on a timer. After 12 hours the uv and basking light click off and the night lamp clicks on. I came in this morning and the basking light was blown. I do know the timers work I have tested them. I have had this bulb for a month. I just need to know so I have a back up. Now my lil guy has to go with a basking light today. He has a heating pad so he should be ok.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Basking bulbs are tricky. Mine last for months but I know people that have problems with them lasting only weeks. hdrydr31, brought up a good point somewhere else, if you have to move the lights to open your tank, they might not last as long.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How long do basking lights typically last? I have a bearded dragon in my classroom. I have his uv, basking, and night lamp all on a timer. After 12 hours the uv and basking light click off and the night lamp clicks on. I came in this morning and the basking light was blown. I do know the timers work I have tested them. I have had this bulb for a month. I just need to know so I have a back up. Now my lil guy has to go with a basking light today. He has a heating pad so he should be ok.
Yea if the units are moved alot that will affect how long the bulb will last...You can contact the company and sometimes they will replace them.. I've (knock on wood) have not had any issues with mine but I don't move them alot..
You say night lamp are you using colored bulbs? as long as it doesn't get below 65F you will be fine with zero lights, as colored bulbs keep them from fully sleeping..if it does get that cool then use a CHE (ceramic heating element) .. Heating pads are bad for them as they can not sense heat from their bellies only from above, so they can burn themselves...
If they can't get UVB and basking heat then just don't feed them that day..

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thats the trouble with filament bulbs, there is no way to tell how long they will last. Movement and overheating will shorten the already unknown span. The answer is to use a non filament bulb of this 'type'
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/50-watt-halogen-mini-sun/
You would need to find a suitable size and wattage for your tank, but these (similar to what you have in a car) have no filament to break and will last as much as 3 times longer than a normal bulb. The quality of light is better as well, so even though its more expensive, it pays for itself over its lifespan.

Drogonmom17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea if the units are moved alot that will affect how long the bulb will last...You can contact the company and sometimes they will replace them.. I've (knock on wood) have not had any issues with mine but I don't move them alot..
You say night lamp are you using colored bulbs? as long as it doesn't get below 65F you will be fine with zero lights, as colored bulbs keep them from fully sleeping..if it does get that cool then use a CHE (ceramic heating element) .. Heating pads are bad for them as they can not sense heat from their bellies only from above, so they can burn themselves...
If they can't get UVB and basking heat then just don't feed them that day..

It is a night time heat lamp. Barely gives off light, but gives off heat.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dragons see all sorts of spectrums of lights that we can't even see. Which means, even though we don't think something is bright, they can still see it and it will disrupt their sleep. There is a member here just recently that was using a colored light at night and couldn't figure out why her dragon was so tired during the day and he was active at night. She changed the colored night heat bulb to a CHE and now the dragon is wide awake during the day and sleeping at night!

Latest posts