• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Bulb Wattage

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie,

I have put in the x2 temp probes you suggested to me in a previous post and the basking area was too hot. I’ve turned down the habistat to get the right basking temperature on the probe, but now the bulb keeps turning off and on every few minutes. The bulb I have is the Arcadia 100w Halogen. Should I replace it with a 75 or 50w?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,

I have put in the x2 temp probes you suggested to me in a previous post and the basking area was too hot. I’ve turned down the habistat to get the right basking temperature on the probe, but now the bulb keeps turning off and on every few minutes. The bulb I have is the Arcadia 100w Halogen. Should I replace it with a 75 or 50w?
Yes try the 75 watt and see what happens --

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes try the 75 watt and see what happens --
Hey,

I found a video that Arcadia had put on YouTube for the 75w and it suggested that (depending on conditions) the 75w was suitable at around 12-18”. The max in my tank was 9” because of the light fitting being so big. I emailed them because I couldn’t find the same info for the 50w and after a few questions, they recommended the 50w saying that you want to run the lamp hard to optimise the spectrum rather than have it dimmed as dimming is there to protect. Because I run through the Habistat, I ordered the 50w, it arrived today and is perfect. The probe and Habistsat are now showing the same temp and Chilli was straight under the lamp and has been basking longer than she had been previously.

Just wanted to feedback on that in case it ever helps anyone else and to say that John Courtney-Smith at Arcadia was super helpful.

Also without your advice to get the probes, I would never have caught this until Chilli had the symptoms as a result of the wattage being far too high, so thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey,

I found a video that Arcadia had put on YouTube for the 75w and it suggested that (depending on conditions) the 75w was suitable at around 12-18”. The max in my tank was 9” because of the light fitting being so big. I emailed them because I couldn’t find the same info for the 50w and after a few questions, they recommended the 50w saying that you want to run the lamp hard to optimise the spectrum rather than have it dimmed as dimming is there to protect. Because I run through the Habistat, I ordered the 50w, it arrived today and is perfect. The probe and Habistsat are now showing the same temp and Chilli was straight under the lamp and has been basking longer than she had been previously.

Just wanted to feedback on that in case it ever helps anyone else and to say that John Courtney-Smith at Arcadia was super helpful.

Also without your advice to get the probes, I would never have caught this until Chilli had the symptoms as a result of the wattage being far too high, so thank you.
Glad you got the issue resolved --- :)

Latest posts