• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Barely eating

Vic

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone,

Quick question, is it normal for byiyr dragon to start to barely eat? Skippy is a good eater, but since we got back from vacation he barely wants to eat. He is over a year old. Usually eats, fruit veggies and protein.
65fb633762b4c161387faa81e0f8576f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone,

Quick question, is it normal for byiyr dragon to start to barely eat? Skippy is a good eater, but since we got back from vacation he barely wants to eat. He is over a year old. Usually eats, fruit veggies and protein.
65fb633762b4c161387faa81e0f8576f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My Bud is 15 mo old and like yours always a good eater but for last couple of days hasn't eaten much. My schedule changed and where my house was noisy with grandkids it's now quite. I was thinking that had something to do with it. Sorry can't give a reason for you guess just wanted to let you know your are not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
My Bud is 15 mo old and like yours always a good eater but for last couple of days hasn't eaten much. My schedule changed and where my house was noisy with grandkids it's now quite. I was thinking that had something to do with it. Sorry can't give a reason for you guess just wanted to let you know your are not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm having the same problem except my beardie is new to us. He is about 3-4 months old. He ate really good the first few days we had him, now he only eats 1-2 roaches a day and frequently goes 1-2 days without eating at all. He just finished his she'd 2 days ago so I thought he would start eating more, but no luck so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I see a fair few people find this worrying. It is more of a problem for young dragons, as they need that protein for growth. Older dragons where growth has slowed or stopped its not really a problem unless they rapidly lose weight. There are many reasons why a beardie might lose its appetite, I think all three of you guys can rule out the most common problems. Temperature, lights, shedding,adequately nutritious food ,vitamins,impaction ,stress and parasites ,all of these can put your beardie off its food if they are not correct. You should be able to rule out most of them as the cause with the usual checks.
I have been reading some really good reviews about a product called Reptaid, its made from natural ingredients and amongst other things is meant to increase appetite and kill parasites. I have never tried it, but from what Ive read it actually works. There may be others on this forum that have tried it and have an opinion, but I would say if you are worried your dragon isnt eating enough and have exhausted other options, maybe its worth a go? here is a link to it on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amber-Tec...hash=item2a15e19adc:m:mZIdMHvmB4XvsPXyRmdpbNg

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Indications of stress other than not eating? Puff seems happy.....moves around his cage, but not in a panic sort of way. We take him out but not every day since during the week our schedule is a bit tight. Whem he does eat, he poops normally. Temp, lights are good. We feed him dubias. He gets either dandelion or collard greens (organic) and butternut squash. Hard to tell if he's eating any of that. He has grown about 3/4" in the past 3 weeks and shed once.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Indications of stress other than not eating? Puff seems happy.....moves around his cage, but not in a panic sort of way. We take him out but not every day since during the week our schedule is a bit tight. Whem he does eat, he poops normally. Temp, lights are good. We feed him dubias. He gets either dandelion or collard greens (organic) and butternut squash. Hard to tell if he's eating any of that. He has grown about 3/4" in the past 3 weeks and shed once.

When you say your temps are good what are they? you would be surprised at how just a degree or two will make a difference.. babies need higher temps 107-115F .. what lighting do you have? T5 or T8? what is your weather doing out where you are? here in WI we have been having some actual cool nights where we've needed the heat already so my 2 adults have been slowing WAY down then pick up then down.. Both of mine will likely brumate this fall.. So weather can also play a part. you say your schedule is tight maybe he's a little bored? and if he's not moving around alot getting stimulated enough that can kinda slow them down a bit... How long have you had him? I just got a 5 week old leatherback and was told he was a big eater now since with me and being stressed and being relocated he only at 5 dubia and about 5-6 bites of greens all day today... he is only 26gr but yet he should be eating a bit more than that however with him being new to me I'm not worried... What bugs are you offering? maybe he's wanting a variety...

Think I have rambled enough lol

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Basking area is at 111. I have a reptisun 10.0 t5.
Weather here is cooling off. Gets 75-85 during the day (lots of fluctuations right now) but down into the low 60s at night. Air inside stays 77-78.
Typically, weekdays we feed him in the morning and don't take him out. Evenings, we take him out for 5-10 minutes. Weekends he gets more out time but we break it up so he doesn't get too cold.
Right now I have just been offering dubias. He really liked them at first. I'll order something else today.
I have been feeding him while he is in his cage, at the top basking apot, his favorite spot.
Kicker, I have 2 dogs and a cat. The cat watches him a lot.....stressor for sure. I have had Puff for 3 weeks so I'm hoping Puff will get used to the cat being around.
Like I said, he cruises around his cage and isn't hiding. Guessing that's a good thing?

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Weather here is cooling off. Gets 75-85 during the day (lots of fluctuations right now) but down into the low 60s at night. Air inside stays 77-78.
Typically, weekdays we feed him in the morning and don't take him out. Evenings, we take him out for 5-10 minutes. Weekends he gets more out time but we break it up so he doesn't get too cold.
Right now I have just been offering dubias. He really liked them at first. I'll order something else today.
I have been feeding him while he is in his cage, at the top basking apot, his favorite spot.
Kicker, I have 2 dogs and a cat. The cat watches him a lot.....stressor for sure. I have had Puff for 3 weeks so I'm hoping Puff will get used to the cat being around.
Like I said, he cruises around his cage and isn't hiding. Guessing that's a good thing?

Oh, meant to put a pic of his cage. To the left is the basking light. The uvb is inside across the back
76fab7746cbe77657bd8b5df090ac582.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Well that all sounds fine.. so maybe hes just being a boy and alittle "bored" of just the dubia..That's what I feed as well and my little Cooper loves waxworms well of course he did (beardie crack) well sorry buddy those are just treats..
If Puff is growing and shedding I'm sure he's fine and he's just being a beardie..

Latest posts