• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Backgrounds...

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I have several questions about backgrounds.

1. Does anyone have a good online source to buy backgrounds?
2. Is there a certain type of background I need to buy?

The reason I ask is I don't want something that will absorb (needed) UVB. For example, I know white reflects UVB the best, but Aries seems to be getting bored white the sheets of white paper in there (I have an enclosure).

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, sorry i do not have any experience with buying prefabbed back grounds to give any good references. I would say LLLreptile has a good reputation, though and have bought many other supplies from them. I dont believe the naturalistic rock or wood backgrounds are going to rob your dragon of useful rays.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
OK, Thanks guys. I guess it's just a matter of what I find now. Probably going to tape or glue a tropic rain forrest or desert theme background inside the enclosure.

CMahoney

Hatchling Dragon
I made my own out of styrofoam following a tutorial on youtube. It actually came out pretty well but it was definitely a process. And it can get fairly expensive depending on how realistic or nice you want it to look. Just search how to make a rock background on youtube.

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a dessert scene background in Ord's current cage. Actually its taped to the outside so the crickets i was feeding at the time I bought it didn't hide behind it. Bought it at my local Pet Smart... Attaching to the outside means no cuts and scrapes from claws and no special cleaning.

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was looking into these when I was setting up my vivarium..

See very nice, but pricy

I wouldn't worry too much about UVB. I think you are splitting hairs. I possibly can't imagine it making a difference. Go with what you like.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would just go with a wrap around the outside background. Feeders will get behind a background even if it's siliconed down. Also, feeders will climb the background potentially escaping from the top.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
OK, I hand feed and if I leave any feeders in their, they are in a Pyrex glass bowl that no bug can climb out. I have an Enclosure, not a tank. So the only glass is on my doors. Whatever I use would be glued to the laminated wood of the old entertainment center.

New Slate.jpg

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would just go with a wrap around the outside background. Feeders will get behind a background even if it's siliconed down. Also, feeders will climb the background potentially escaping from the top.

I second that regardless of feeders situation. I think it will just look better. BTW that slate looks really nice in the enclosure.

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Did you decide on a background yet? If your gonna glue it or adhere it in any way stay away from paper so it can be cleaned easier.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Not yet. I'm going to take the paper out this weekend when I replace my UVB bulb. Thinking about makings a wall with all this left over foam I have from my previous attempt on this cabinet I used to have. I could paint it with acrylic paint and then mod-podge it.

Latest posts