• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby opening mouth/bit

bbbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, Thanks for all the tips, I've been looking at this site for answers to questions. We got our little guy/girl a little over a week ago. First shed complete and now eating pretty well. Started off on crickets, hated them, and switched to dubias. our beardie (still no name) is in a 30 gallon tank while we are building the permanent enclosure. Using a Reptisun 10 bulb and a 65w basking bulb.

The last couple of days though he's been acting different. When I reach my hand into the tank, he opens his mouth at me. And the other day he actually bit my finger, he's so tiny, it didn't hurt, and I think I freaked him out, so I get that, but still opening his mouth sometimes a couple days later, makes me worried.

This is technically my young sons animal and I don't want this to continue. We talked to our breeder who gave us some tips, but I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? Does this mean that he or she will continue to be "aggressive". Now with him being so little, it doesn't really matter (except that hes probably stressed out) but what about as he grows?

He was totally fine with being held before, and would even try to stay on my hand when I tried to put him back in his tank! Any advice is appreciated!
IMG_20190629_203423.jpg

bbbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is normal for them to be a little scared -- when approaching come from the side - they have a eye on top of their head it starts w/ a P cant remember its for predators or birds and it can scare them so approach from the side so they can see you- hes probably going thru relocation stress as well so if he is off his food and not eating as much this would be why -- the Reptisun 10 is it a tube or coil? Good basking temps are 105-110 and a good bright white basking bulb and should be taken w/ a infrared heat gun purchased from Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart around $10 ---they are the most accurate --- No colored bulbs----------are you dusting his bugs? Offer him salad every day he may not eat it but offer anyway here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
The 30 galllon tank he will quickly outgrow - you need to upgrade that tank to as big as your budget will allow --- nothing smaller than a 40 gallon and you want one w/ front doors that open --- techinally you will be taking care of the dragon they are to complex for a childs pet --- if you dont have the husbandry right you will have a sick dragon down the road-------------- if you want to post pics of his tank and lighting I can help more there from what I see
kaylyn

Yes, he's in a 39 now, but his wood enclosure will be finished in a few days, he has the tube light which extends halfway through the enclosure, no colored lights and I'm using a infared heat gun, temps are good. I've been reaching in on the side and letting him see my open upturned palm and go really slowly. My son is 5, this is technically his first pet, but I'm doing all the caregiving until he's older. We got him now because hopefully he'll live at least 10 years. He's getting his food dusted with repcal and then adding herptivite on the weekends (breeders instructions) and eating his greens as well. He's sprayed at least twice a day, but is also getting baths twice a week in treated purified water. He's eating better than when we first got him. Last night I put my hand in and he opened his mouth but when I picked him up he didn't do anything, and he's always fine once I get him out. He fell asleep on me last night and I put him back and he was in the same position all night. So cute. The only thing that has changed is that he had a new dinosaur ornament in his tank, that I thought might have freaked him out...but I took it out after a couple of days. Don't know if that could bother him for that long though.

bbbeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
If hes falling asleep on you he has learned to trust you--- tube light????????????? Is it the Reptisun ?? They do not like change I put in a fake plant and Hiccup stared at it for like a week not going near it -- I think he was waiting for it to move-------------- so now he sleeps under it --
kaylyn

The light is the reptisun 10 tube, not coil. 18in. Hood light not sitting on a screen. But yes that's good to know. He does fall asleep on me every time I hold him in the evening and closed his eyes when I pet his head. I was thinking maybe he just couldn't see me well enough when I go in or something, I don't know. Hiccup is a great name btw! Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts