• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

baby food

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ive herd ppl mention it i didnt know if this was something i should be doing so she gets a good variety or something?
or a treat?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm - I haven't heard of this myself. What kind of baby food did you hear about feeding to dragons?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm - I haven't heard of this myself. What kind of baby food did you hear about feeding to dragons?
Baby food has been recommended 2 stimulate feeding with dragons that have had a loss in appetite.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh - I see! Thanks for the correction, Jeff :)
I'm not the expert - just the computer nerd :D

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey C,

The only time i would recommend baby food is when they stop eating completely. And then only Butternut, sweet potatoe or some kind of squash. There are sites who say Chicken, Beef or Turkey flavours BUT ive never seen a wild beardie chase down a chicken, cow or turkey to eat, its not natural.

If you have a situation where theyre not eating feeders, I make a slurry of live feeders (Roaches, Cricks, Silks, Butters, Pheonix) any live food you want and i blend it up with greens, veggies (pre cooked to soften), water, calcium powder. Baby food i think is just for lazy ppl wanting a quick fix.

I have however heard of ppl feeding baby food fruity blends as a bi-weekly or monthly treat. But not many do this

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lol there you go again p.... encyclepedia i swear lol. thanks so if i wanted to it wont kill her bt yall dont recomend unless hunger strike. (which by the way is not a problem since the 2 first days lol between my cham and her their eating me out house and home) loli love it grow children please! lol just wandering what kinda things would make her real happy i got 1000 crix 60 small silks 250 suppers and we have meals and pheonix oh and butterworms already lots of callards and butternt squash (she loves strawberrys too) and thats just the first half the month) so i guess i got a nice variety dont rock the boat?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
lol there you go again p.... encyclepedia i swear lol. thanks so if i wanted to it wont kill her bt yall dont recomend unless hunger strike.

:D Hehehehe
Nope it wont kill her at all. Like i said i prefer to make my own slurries from stuff she would normally eat (Bugs and greens)
Even on a hunger strike it is important to 1st know the age of the beardie before assist feeding.

Adults for example can go litterally weeks without eating and be fine. We keep thinking theyre people and HAVE to eat daily. And by day 2 or 3 of not eating we stuff food down their throats. Sometimes this causes more harm than good. Think of it, lets say they have a stomach bug.....and think of yourself when you have one........do you feel like eating? Nope, and after a few days you feel better and eat again. Well same with them. The tummy hurts, stuff food down throat, tummy hurts more, making them want to eat even less, makiing you stuff more food down their throat....blah blah and so on and so forth. Right, now IF we just leave them a few days.....the tummy feels better, they get hungry and eat again. All sorted
With Babies and juvies obviuosly we would step in sooner, as they require more food more often, but still not on day 2 , i usually wait a week and then step in and assist feed.

Making her happy food wise ................... hmmmmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Kiwi fruit (About 1x week)
Butter worms or wax worms (High in fat so a few 1x week, 1x every 2 weeks)
Ive heard most ppls BD's go Ape s**** for rasberries and blueberries (Mine couldnt care less - she just wants Kiwi fruit)
Oh and one friend gives hers apple puree once a month (Just remember apple is an appetite suppressant for dragons, so dont feed any apple too often)

This what you wanted to know? Beardie treat items?

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yep you got it plus i was wandering why the ppl were using baby food. but answered and answered unforunatly she did not like kiwi the other day but she did love those strawberrys

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine hates anything RED, and i mean anything. So weird how they each have their own personalities and tastes :D

Guess yours dislikes green LOL

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have been giving my female lily baby food that i added extra calcium to because she wont eat her greens when i put the calcium power on it. and after she laid gher eggs she look like she had malnutrition bad for a week or 2. now she is plump and fiesty as ever

pre-warning if u do feed them baby food pay close attention to the lable on the back that tells you whats in it. there are very few i can find that dont have citrius acid added to them. i pick the ones that are just straight veggie and water just to play it safe

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh - I see! Thanks for the correction, Jeff :)
I'm not the expert - just the computer nerd :D
Oh, I'm no expert,,,, and I don't know anything about computers. Boooo, I suk! lol

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh, I'm no expert,,,, and I don't know anything about computers. Boooo, I suk! lol

ive bee on forms long enough to know to wait for a couple more ppl to chime in before making my decisions. though everyones opinion is valued it doesnt mean its a rule.
but alas she eats greens just fine.

now something i see you add jynx the thing about citric acid whys that a bad thing if they can have kiwi and orange and things like that?
thanks for all the replys guys.

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
also happy to ready yalls posts cause i didnt realize i should be dustng grees, ill start tho, just a pinch rite.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
now something i see you add jynx the thing about citric acid whys that a bad thing if they can have kiwi and orange and things like that?​

If you look on the chart youll see oranges are marked BLACK, thus occasional food and Kiwi is BLUE a rarely feed item. Its about the amount of vit C they ingest. If fed sparingly it wont harm them

Also at the top of the chart there is an explanation of all the stuff like goitrens, oxalates and vits

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If you look on the chart youll see oranges are marked BLACK, thus occasional food and Kiwi is BLUE a rarely feed item. Its about the amount of vit C they ingest. If fed sparingly it wont harm them

Also at the top of the chart there is an explanation of all the stuff like goitrens, oxalates and vits

hmm ok what chart

Latest posts