• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

baby beardie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thats not a good idea. you dont want to introduce the possible contaminants that a wild caught insect/worm may have been around.

you can contact blaberus.com im not sure if he ships to canada but im sure he can tell you who does.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Harley D (Laurie) is actually in Canada and has some affiliation with insects. Let me dig the post. You may want to PM her too. She's helped others.

Here it is:
Canada Insects

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, Laurie! He's actually looking for proteins other than crickets. ;)

I know it is a long post. Appreciate you jumping in.

littlefoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok heres the latest went to a couple of other pet stores today i really am getting quite confused one says try super worms if littlefoot is picky with crickets the other says he just may not be hungry and as long as he is eating a few everyday or second day there is nothing to worry about. if anyone knows of a repitible beardie owner in my area i would like to get in touch with them and get the low down as ive said before a lot of info and just dont know who to believe PLEASE HELP i really dont want to give up littlefoot as the kids have become attched to him now but if i cant give him the proper care i dont want to hurt him or worse kill him.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Why not put an add on Craigs List....as you can post only in your area....put it in the wanted or pet section...someone is bound to get ahold of you, I will contact my cousin as they have tons of friends out there and well...maybe we will get lucky !

For the link they sell all food for beardies...did you try contacting the store and they would know of others in your area ?

Please feel free to contact me if you need anymore help.

Laurie

littlefoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
harley d

pet smart is where we got littlefoot and ive been back a few times and they dont have a expert on reptiles on there staff they just print off care sheets and say everything you need to know is in the sheets i have an add on a local site here so hopefully ill hear something.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what is it you are looking for a "expert" for. Im pretty sure most questions you have can be answered by those of us on this site. Many of us have years of experience in both keeping and breeding (myself and tom are breeders)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try not to get too discouraged. I know it can be frustrating becasue everyone is giving conflicting advice. Just an FYI...that is why my hubby and I started this site. Sorry for those of you who have read this again and again! But it is true. We purchased Bernie as an impulse buy and were totally overwhelmed all those years ago.

Bearded dragon care is still relatively new as far as domestication goes. So far, I have been extremely happy with the advice given by our members. No one appears to be mileading anyone.

Have we gone over your setup? Lighting and heat are very important.

Another thing to keep in mind is that local chains tend to overpopulate their bearded dragons and sell them at too young of an age. I'm not bashing them. I'll admit that Bernie came from PetSmart. Our vet was extremely happy with his health during his life. For some reason, unknown to us, he had organ failure. And I'm wondering if it was an underlying birth defect that remained dormant until he reach 4 1/2 years old.

Anyway, please don't give up. We'll ease your mind. Keep asking your questions. If something doesn't make sense, let us know.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah what Renee said lol. I am sorry i tend to be a little more curt and direct. Been in the military too long lol. Sometimes i forget my kinder gentler side.

I know this list looks forever long but if you can answer these questions we could probably help you with your care by leaps and bounds.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

littlefoot

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ounce again thanks for the info there was a parent at my sons school who actually breeds beardies in my city so they came over and checked out everything for me turns out im just being parinoid. she says everything is exactly how it should be littlefoot is still adjusting to his new routine with us as he was with other beardies when we bought him and she said he may be just feeling a bit lonley as they are a extremely social lizard. she also said to put him in a room with a lot of traffic as we had him in our sons room and most of the day he is by himself. as far as food she said to just keep doing what were doing not all beardies will eat the same and coming from sharind a viv with other dragons they have to fight for food but she will keep checkin in to see how the little guy is doin but so far she figures his growth rate is on track.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That sounds like wonderful news. I'm glad you found a trusted source to ease your mind. I totally understand what you are going through. It is very overwhelming when you first take on these guys. And they are silent creatures, so they can't tell you if they are having troubles. It's enough to drive you bonkers! Welcome to the roller coaster of being a beardie parent! ;D