• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie

Alex Gomez

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a baby beardie a week ago and he only eats like 2-3 worms and 2-3 crickets, is this normal? How can I get him to eat more?

Alex Gomez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go over the tank and lighting -- they will not eat if basking temps are not correct and correct UVB --- meaning NO coils for UVB --- basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun NO STICKONS they are inaccurate ---- now --- they will slow down on eating its called relocation stress but they should not quit eating all together ---- and yes he will eat more like 20-30 crickets in a 10 -15 minute time frame --- but we need the correct lighting for him to be able to do that --- relocation stress will subside and his appetite will pick up but please go over your lighting --- if your using a 13 watt coil UVB get rid of it -------------they are killers --- what size tank is he in?
I am using a the coil one and I did not know that, what is the difference between the coil and the uvb strip light

Alex Gomez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is some info for you on the difference
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--

Is the coil a 13 watt? If it is get rid of it --- they are killers -- for tanks 40 and up they are getting NO UVB at all ---- I would get a tube fixture w/ a reflector and one of the bulbs mentioned above ---- before to long you will have a very sick dragon on your hands he will quit eating and be lethargic--- he cannot process his calcium w / out correct UVB --- and also develop MBD--- neurological issues ---- if you need help getting a fixture and bulbs let me know I have a website that you can order from -- they are good and fast and ship Fed Ex--- what size tank is he in?
Yes it is a 13 watt, my beardie is in a 20 gallon

Latest posts