• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie won’t eat.

lesmisfan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, don't do a dome, as we have said, you need TUBE UVB. Not a uvb bulb/coil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lizardlover01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is this okay until I get my bigger tank? My dome lamp is huge.

BF65EE2F-1A45-453C-920F-D177EFC036DD.jpeg
88080A9C-3434-4CDF-8BC7-73CE4A7E60E2.jpeg
E79CCDB0-05FC-410B-BB56-15BEF7639B90.jpeg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just keep an eye on the UVB fixture and watch that it isn't melting being so close to the dome. You could even get a smaller dome fixture.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dome's are good for the basking bulbs, I use metal domes with ceramic elements (they are actually chicken brooder fixtures) then the UVB the Reptisun T5 HO fixture 10.0 bulb these can be ontop of the wire screen. if you get T8 fixtures those need to be mounted on the inside of the tank.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Nice! Just scoot the UVB behind the basking bulb. They need to overlap in the basking spot because that's how they work together. The UVB creates the D3 and the heat from the basking synthesizes it to calcium.

Samileighton1

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I joined this forum in hopes someone more experienced then me can help me with my baby. She is a female bearded dragon who is maybe just barely a month old and I bought her from a pet store. We only bought a starter kit that came with a heat lamp. She was eating fine for the last 3 weeks or so until about a day or so ago - this would be day two - of not eating any crickets.

I have a small dish a finely diced carrots, callord greens, and a small serving of kiwi for moisture since she doesn’t seem to drink from her dish. I have a small suspicion she might be constipated so I gave her a warm bath today in the sink and she hasn’t pooped yet.

I also think it might be because the starter kit left out a UVA/UVB bulb in the kit and without it she isn’t digesting right - I currently have one being delievered in the mail and will be here thursday - my concern is that if it is because of the light will she be okay another day 1/2 - 2 days? I keep offering them to see if she will take some.

Please help. This is my first beardie and I don’t wanna lose her.
Try feeding her some veggies or fruit such as carrot greens, carrots, peeled small apples and butternut squash. And you said she hasn’t pooped yet? Try using a syringe to give her olive oil to drip on the top of her nose, or just give her another warm bath. Turn the heat up to 110 as well, what substrate (flooring) are you using? Don’t use sand because that can cause impaction in beardies and kill them sometimes.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try feeding her some veggies or fruit such as carrot greens, carrots, peeled small apples and butternut squash. And you said she hasn’t pooped yet? Try using a syringe to give her olive oil to drip on the top of her nose, or just give her another warm bath. Turn the heat up to 110 as well, what substrate (flooring) are you using? Don’t use sand because that can cause impaction in beardies and kill them sometimes.

Be careful with the olive oil you don't want to give too much. I would try canned pumpkin, or baby food prunes first and use the oil as a last resort.

Tobooki

Bearded Dragon Egg
No on here is talking about the obvious answer... so shes still young. Baby beardies shed their skin approximately every 2-4 weeks. During this time, ESPECIALLY when they are very young, they will tend to eat less. Can you see waxy bits on her tail? To me, it looks like she is getting ready to shed.
Also since shes been there only a month, it might take a bit for her to get used to her new schedule. It took our baby a little bit as well. Some days he'd eat great, other not at all. Now he's a bit of a pig.
Keep trying to feed her, even if it's only a little. If your baby doesnt eat at all, try taking her to a vet... but just watch her skin and if she starts to look more and more waxy, I'd assume she's ready to shed and that's why she isnt eating.

Ziggy2018

Bearded Dragon Egg
She is active still. Runs around, doesn’t seem lethargic or dehydrated or anything like that. She just refuses her crickets. I tried giving her half a waxworm earlier too in case she was bored of a crickets for now but she refused that as well so the last thing I could think of would be the UVB light
Do not feed her any bugs....she needs the uvb/uva light in order for her to digest her food. As for hydration, my Ziggy (8-10mths. old) does not drink water. I hydrate his veggies before adding his bugs to his food bowl. For now since your light is due to be shipped to you, stop trying to feed her crickets. Try a couple of blueberries (cut in 1/2 since she's small). If she eats them, that will help her poop. As for the baths, keep giving them to her (every 3-4 days). Pat dry her & let her sit under her light when it comes in. Try giving her some veggies (mustards, butternut squash (peeled/raw-cut real small), etc. Hope this helps.

M

Masonbushell4664

The basking temp needs to be 104 to 110. 130 is way to high. Your dragon will become dehydrated. Also a tube uvb is needed and dusting with calcium is needed Make sure your not dusting with d3 because that’s not good. Arcadia are a really good brand. A new dragon can take a few weeks to start eating because of stress. You need a digital thermometer with a probe because the temp guns read surface temp not air temp. She’s not pooing because the temps are too low. I wouldn’t feed much until the temps are higher because the more you feed the more food is inside her. Also do not give baths regularly only if they are dirty because the warm water acts as a laxative and forced them to poo which will dehydrate her.

Virginia

Bearded Dragon Egg
my 6 month old beardie doesn't drink water....but if I take a straw and blow little bubbles in the water she'll get interested and drink. If she is impacted the water will help her poo....also see if you can get her to sit in some warm water.

also, i think I may have detected an underbite in your beardie....that can be a sign of calcium deficiency.

AnandaTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was having a similar problem with mine recently. His eating slowed way down. Increasing the UVB light and heat has helped the issue. I am using mercury vapor UVB lamps as my herpetologist says they put out the most UVB light and last longer. They are also more expensive.

What you can do, and I also do, which will help is take the little one outside and let him sit in the sun for an hour. Its better than a UVB light. Its the real deal :). It will help.

David