• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie with curly legs

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
So I work at a petsmart and we need some help with one of our Beardies. His name is Lucky and he has been in our isolation room for a few months now. He has seen our old vet about 4 times now and we are trying a new vet.

He was isolated after one of my coworkers noticed he didn't have very good control of his back legs. He still caught his crickets and moved around pretty well but I guessed his was compacted so we did warm soaks every other day while we waited for his vet appointment. He pooped in his baths and seemed alert and active, moving between his basking spot and would even soak himself in the dish.

The vet prescribed some shots(steroids) and daily calcium liquid, which he loves. He got the shots twice a week, .01ml liquid calcium twice a day for a month, calcium dusted crickets, a warm bath once a day and crushed meal worm and reptiboost smoothie 4 times a week. He eats it all like a champ and has grown a lot but he still has curly legs.

We have a tube UVB over him, we pulled the lights off the shelves because the store doesn't supply them. We keep his heat monitored well and he is super active but its like he doesn't have control over this legs. One of my coworkers is a vet tech who has a beardie and I've been rescuing neglected BDs for 6 years. neither of us has seen anything like him.

He catches crickets well but he kind of flops about on all fours, when he is resting his back legs go straight out to the sides or one straight under his chin while his front legs curl weakly under his body or just look wonky out to the front or side. He has to have a real shallow bath because when he tries to move, he dunks himself underwater and cant seem to get his legs to work.

he seems healthy besides his legs. the vets cant seem to put a finger on what might be causing it and ive never seen a BD like this before. Even in rescue. Any ideas would be helpful. We are trying our best to get this guy moving again. He is so sweet and needs a good home. But we want to help him and his future family.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how old is he? poor little guy. don't think I will be of much help ---

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is this dragon been seen by a reptile vet? have they done xrays? could be a deformity. I wouldn't feed any mealworms they are very hard to digest.. supers, dubia, crickets...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What happened with this guy? Have they done neurological testing? ADV testing?

Latest posts