• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

baby beardie questions

jennyk523

Bearded Dragon Egg
so we have a 3 month old baby beardie who my son named dizzy lizzy until we find out if it's a boy or girl. we are new beardie owners and I've been reading alot but still have a few questions so any answers are appreciated. first off, how Did u get ur beardie to eat fruits and veggies because ours will only eat crickets. I've left different fruits at different times and his greens daily in the cooler part of his tank and he will not touch them. when I tried warmer side the first day it dried out to quickly and he still didn't touch them. I've tried apples, strawberries, blueberries, and green pepper. along with the greens the pet store gave us. next I'll be trying fresh kale and collard greens. I also put them in there an hour before I give him his first round of crickets. I know it says 5 times a day for crickets is it normal that he will only eat 3-4 in one sitting? everywhere I read said he should be eating more.
second question, how Did u get ur beardie to warm up to you. dizzy freaks out with me just putting food in there and runs the terrarium like a mad man and tries to climb up the glass. I have only held it once when it was fearful in its bath and climb onto my hand. besides that he freaks out. He is my 5 year old sons pet and he talks to him but I don't want him putting his hand in there til we learn the proper way of keeping him calm to be held. so any tips or tricks will really help this new beardie mom. we have reptile carpet at the bottom. the feeding bowl and water dish came with the reptile tank (I know I will have to buy a bigger tank in a few months when he grows) along with the plastic cave thing that he sits on top to baste (is plastic safe for them?) I also added a hanging fake plant in 1 corner and a fake dessert plant in the middle which he seems to like. it also has rocks coming off the bottom for him to climb a little. i appreciate any info you guys can provide me.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Be sure your hand is approaching the baby from the side rather than over its head to avoid spooking it. You can try putting a shirt you've been wearing into the tank with it. You might also offer treats from your hand, like maybe an occasional waxworm. I tried just light touches at first, to make the hand less scary, before trying to pick the dragon up. Also make sure it feels all feet, belly, and tail supported. Don't rush it, and don't take it personally if the baby takes some time, but don't avoid touching him, either. Try to strike a balance where he knows the hand isn't going away, but also isn't going to hurt him. :0)

jennyk523

Bearded Dragon Egg
Be sure your hand is approaching the baby from the side rather than over its head to avoid spooking it. You can try putting a shirt you've been wearing into the tank with it. You might also offer treats from your hand, like maybe an occasional waxworm. I tried just light touches at first, to make the hand less scary, before trying to pick the dragon up. Also make sure it feels all feet, belly, and tail supported. Don't rush it, and don't take it personally if the baby takes some time, but don't avoid touching him, either. Try to strike a balance where he knows the hand isn't going away, but also isn't going to hurt him. :0)
thank you so much for the advice
it is so appreciated! I also have a lighting question. I have 2 lamps came w the tank. they have mini halogen bulbs in them. ones white and the night one is red. are these safe or should I go with a different bulb? I've read red bulbs are bad for them

jennyk523

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok so I'm going to get the repti bulb 10. does he not need a light at night or do I just keep that on all the time and he will sleep on the cooler side or does the repti bulb change for night? thank u for the advise I removed the red light this a.m. and will not be using it again.
I figured it was relocation stress. he has pooped the first 3 days but not today. he did take 3 crickets this a.m. so hoping by time I come home from pet store he will habe pooped again. I was able to pick him up yday to take him to the bath which he did not like. tried climbing up the sides and scratching like crazy bit since he won't touch the water in his tank even when it's warm I figured it's crucial and will continue to do and hopefully he will eventually relax.

Latest posts