• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie not doing well.

Adrian199x

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a new bearded dragon about 3/4 weeks ago he at the first few days but stopped after that, I took him to the vet after a few days of him not eating. They have me medicine thinking he had a parasite In His stomach. He still hasn’t been eating anything besides a supplement called critical care. He doesn’t move much in his enclosure he always seems to be closing his eyes and is lethargic. But when I take him out for a bath he does seem very active. Please help I really want to keep him but I also want him to live a good life

Whenever he is in here he is usually on the hammock and won’t move off of it I’m not sure when kind of heat lamp I am using but I know the uvb is a reptisun. I don’t believe it’s lack of uvb, I purchased a longer tub uvb bulb and fixture and it didn’t seem to help. I’m guessing the lights are too bright? Please help he hasn’t eaten any insects or veggies. He’s only been eating the critical care from the syringe. I am very worried about him

Attachments

• F188DD5F-B749-491A-9358-3BC6165381A8.jpeg
    F188DD5F-B749-491A-9358-3BC6165381A8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 4DD3C247-5576-4920-9790-138CAD1E7909.jpeg
    4DD3C247-5576-4920-9790-138CAD1E7909.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 21

Adrian199x

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m not really sure on what information you guys need but pls let me know and I will try and answer to the best of my abilities. Tempts seem to be good too, 100-105 on the high end cool side is around 84

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My baby beardie didn’t tend to move much when he was younger so that shouldn’t worry you too much. I suggest raising the temperature to around 110°F and for his uvb light I’d suggest stay with coil and make sure it’s uvb 150. And don’t worry about the lighting it never is too bright for a beardie. How is his sleeping schedule I suggest 12hrs light and 12hrs of full darkness because they will not sleep even if there is a bit of light. Also how cold does his tank he at night. If it’s under 70° that can be causing some problems because he’s getting too cold. I suggest using a heat emitter because it doesn’t shine any light and just put on the opposite side of his cage to give him so warmth. Give him daily baths and as long as he’s on critical care he’s getting his nutrients and protein so he not thriving but it will help him grow and get better sooner. Babies tend to be difficult to take car of sometime because problems can happen. Also try and feed him crickets in a container outside of his tank. The food will then be right in front of him so he doesn’t have to go chasing after them. And if not try different types of bugs just make sure they are the smallest you can get to make it easier on him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You need a basking temp of 105-110 taken w a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate
next you need this for a UVB a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- coils are inadequate please replace ASAP - your dragon will not eat w/ out the proper lighting in the tank please ask for more help but you need to get this replaced ASAP if you need websites to order off of please ask I will post some links for you

Adrian199x

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need a basking temp of 105-110 taken w a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate
next you need this for a UVB a 24" fixture w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- coils are inadequate please replace ASAP - your dragon will not eat w/ out the proper lighting in the tank please ask for more help but you need to get this replaced ASAP if you need websites to order off of please ask I will post some links for you
I already have a 2 foot uvb bulb but I thought it might’ve been too bright because he was never opening his eyes but I will put the longer uvb fixture back when I get home today. and I don’t use a stick on thermometer I have a infrared one the picture is of the humidity gage

Adrian199x

Bearded Dragon Egg
My baby beardie didn’t tend to move much when he was younger so that shouldn’t worry you too much. I suggest raising the temperature to around 110°F and for his uvb light I’d suggest stay with coil and make sure it’s uvb 150. And don’t worry about the lighting it never is too bright for a beardie. How is his sleeping schedule I suggest 12hrs light and 12hrs of full darkness because they will not sleep even if there is a bit of light. Also how cold does his tank he at night. If it’s under 70° that can be causing some problems because he’s getting too cold. I suggest using a heat emitter because it doesn’t shine any light and just put on the opposite side of his cage to give him so warmth. Give him daily baths and as long as he’s on critical care he’s getting his nutrients and protein so he not thriving but it will help him grow and get better sooner. Babies tend to be difficult to take car of sometime because problems can happen. Also try and feed him crickets in a container outside of his tank. The food will then be right in front of him so he doesn’t have to go chasing after them. And if not try different types of bugs just make sure they are the smallest you can get to make it easier on him
Thanks alot! i Think it might drop a little below 70 at night so I will look into that. & another question he has had small pieces of shed on his back for two or three weeks now its like 4/5 pieces along the right side of his back and they arent looe at all they seem to be matted to his skin, should I try and help with the stuck shed is just not ready to come off. Thanks again!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I already have a 2 foot uvb bulb but I thought it might’ve been too bright because he was never opening his eyes but I will put the longer uvb fixture back when I get home today. and I don’t use a stick on thermometer I have a infrared one the picture is of the humidity gage
What size is the tank ? And what bulb are you using? The placement of these bulbs is crucial - is it a T 5? You said 2 foot so that is a 24" - that is good for a 40 + gallon tank - it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above his basking decor piece -- also you need a good bright white basking bulb NO colored bulbs

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks alot! i Think it might drop a little below 70 at night so I will look into that. & another question he has had small pieces of shed on his back for two or three weeks now its like 4/5 pieces along the right side of his back and they arent looe at all they seem to be matted to his skin, should I try and help with the stuck shed is just not ready to come off. Thanks again!
Spray him w / spray bottle take a soft baby tooth brush and lightly brush him to loosen the shed

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It will definitely help him once the temp of a little over 70. They need heat to digest and if it gets too cold it becomes hard for bodily functions to happen correctly. For the shed if it’s stuck on don’t try and take it off it can cause damage to the scales underneath. The daily baths will help with the shedding considering that when they are babies they tend to shed monthly or even twice a month depending on how fast they grow. Do try and bathe him daily. It will keep him hydrated which is very important in keeping him alive and healthy. Just make sure the water doesn’t go past his belly. Babies have a tendency to drown if they aren’t supervised or if the water is too high

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It will definitely help him once the temp of a little over 70. They need heat to digest and if it gets too cold it becomes hard for bodily functions to happen correctly. For the shed if it’s stuck on don’t try and take it off it can cause damage to the scales underneath. The daily baths will help with the shedding considering that when they are babies they tend to shed monthly or even twice a month depending on how fast they grow. Do try and bathe him daily. It will keep him hydrated which is very important in keeping him alive and healthy. Just make sure the water doesn’t go past his belly. Babies have a tendency to drown if they aren’t supervised or if the water is too high
Too much bathing will dry his scales out--- I recommend spraying him in his tank it will be less stress on him-- if your rinsing his greens before serving and he's eating them that will give him moisture and hydrate him along w/ gutloaded insects- they can be fed carrots and squash for hydration just don't feed the dragon carrots too to much vit a--- let the shed take it's course do not pick at it -- spraying and take a soft baby tooth brush and lightly brush will help shed

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Too much bathing will dry his scales out--- I recommend spraying him in his tank it will be less stress on him-- if your rinsing his greens before serving and he's eating them that will give him moisture and hydrate him along w/ gutloaded insects- they can be fed carrots and squash for hydration just don't feed the dragon carrots too to much vit a--- let the shed take it's course do not pick at it -- spraying and take a soft baby tooth brush and lightly brush will help shed
Well that all depends on the type of baby you have mine didn’t eat veggies until he was 7 months so my vet recommended daily baths to keep him hydrated and promote digestion. He is now also potty trained to go only in his bathes. And considering this baby beardie is on critical care he’s not getting any veggies. Bathes could help him regain some strength and have him start eating again. Also daily baths during times of shedding will help ease the shedding skin and help it come off easier putting less stress on the animal. And this is coming from a certified vet not me. And if you do get conflicting answers doll you can always do your own research to see whose right. Baby beardies and adult beardies do have different needs and different amount of attention needed in order for them to be healthy and happy. At the moment you truly do have almost t equivalent to a human baby in terms of attention and care but once they are older it does get easier. Hope I was able to help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well that all depends on the type of baby you have mine didn’t eat veggies until he was 7 months so my vet recommended daily baths to keep him hydrated and promote digestion. He is now also potty trained to go only in his bathes. And considering this baby beardie is on critical care he’s not getting any veggies. Bathes could help him regain some strength and have him start eating again. Also daily baths during times of shedding will help ease the shedding skin and help it come off easier putting less stress on the animal. And this is coming from a certified vet not me. And if you do get conflicting answers doll you can always do your own research to see whose right. Baby beardies and adult beardies do have different needs and different amount of attention needed in order for them to be healthy and happy. At the moment you truly do have almost t equivalent to a human baby in terms of attention and care but once they are older it does get easier. Hope I was able to help.
[/QUOTE
Did the vet do a fecal and determine he had parasites or did the vet just put him on medication? What is he on for meds? It's going to effect his appetite-- the critical care is good stuff just water it down and he will get plenty of water from that- if the vet did not do a fecal to determine parasites for sure I would be looking for a new vet--- babies usually do not have parasites at a young age it is possible but to determine that I would have a fecal done also they do have a small amount in their intestine so that is normal- it's when they get out if control meds are prescribed your basking temps and UVB is what is going to prevent that