• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie is attacking weird

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie is always sleeping it seems like and barely even move. It does not eat vegetables either what am I doing wrong? I got a heat lamp that heats it to about 100 to 105 degrees and a UVB lightbulb. I use a night time light that gets it basking spot up to 80 degrees when I take it out my beardie it will get active for a little but then fall asleep right away I give it fresh vegetables every day to and give it crickets every morning any tips will help my beardie is about a month and two weeks old.

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
Dragons like things that move. It takes some dragons a while to get the taste for their veggies. It should happen with time. Keep the greens available for him daily. Try playing with it in front of him. Your dragon may never drink from a bowl and that is okay, try misting him, he may start to lick the droplets as you spray his head lightly. Until he gets the hang of things, keep bathing and allowing him to drink from that.

What size crickets are you feeding and how many does he eat at at time?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your BD is likely lethargic during the day because you have a night light & it is bothering it's sleep & can not cool down to have a good night's rest.

Young BDs don't always, in fact very few do, take to their greens right off in the beginning, some not for months. This is common, they require mostly protein during the first part of their life so it is not an issue. But it still should be provided fresh daily in small amounts, whether it eats it or not, so it is there when it takes the notion to test them out. Placing the greens in a low sided dish on the floor, cut into baby bite size pieces, so it can readily see them without having to climb onto something, often helps. A small saucer, jar or plastic container lid works well for this.

Very few BDs will drink from standing water, many of us don't even provide water bowls in our enclosures for this reason & they just raise the humidity if they are not being used. Continue with regular warm soaks about twice a week to keep it hydrated along with daily mistings with room temperature water from nose to tip of tail, mist a little heavier on the top of the head so it will lick the droplets off it's nose if thirsty. The soaks & misting will also help make shedding more comfy for it.

Night lights will disturb most BDs sleep, no matter what color the bulb is. Night heat is not needed or wanted unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60sF. BDs should be allowed to cool down at night, slows their metabolism down for a good nights sleep. Should your ambient room temps drop below that at night, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) should be used at a distance just to provide enough heat to take the edge off. A CHE screws into a regular light socket, provides heat, but emits no light to bother the BD.

What size enclosure are you keeping it in? What are you using for substrate? Pictures of your BD & it's setup is invaluable in pinpointing issues & potential problems.

Here is a link to a Bearded Dragon Basic Care Guide. Please read it over once or twice. Then come back with your questions along with pictures of your setup, that will show the lighting setup & the types of bulbs you are using. The info on the Brand, type & strength of the bulbs is also necessary to give members an idea of the situation, in order to give reasonably helpful advice.

Good luck

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
Alrighty thanks...I know my heating bulb is 150w and it barely gets the temp to 100 of lucky mostly 95 degrees at lowest my tank is 40 gal breeder. I got a kit that is called deluxe XL bearded dragon kit I added another heating light to get the temp to stay at least 100...I am new to this so I'm not sure how to upload a picture. Also at night it gets about 70 with the light I use for night

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If this is the setup and you are using those type of thermometers mounted in the same spots, your basking temps will be way off. Basking temp must be taken directly at the basking spot.
30828_200wh.jpg

Thermometers mounted on the glass, will give you the temp affected by the glass, which in turn is affected as much by the ambient room temp as the enclosure environment & is no where near the basking spot. Digital thermometers with a sensor or probe should be used so you can get a specific area temp. If you remove the thermometer from the glass & set it directly on the basking spot for 30 minutes after the lights have been on for a couple of hours, then you will get a more reasonably accurate reading.

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
Yes mine has thoughs thermometers but I have placed one right under the basking spot and I will work on getting pictures

Latest posts