• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie head dragging

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently purchased 3 baby beardies, a male and two females according to the breeder, each around a month old. I'm new to owning dragons and so I was told only after that they may have been too young. Well unfortunately one of them, for about one day now, has begun to act strange. Laying flat, avoiding the basking area and dragging it's head along the floor eyes usually open and fixed on me. He/she does not like to touched or even have me near it and when I tried to handle it, he rolled around in my hand almost disoriented, head very heavy. When I feed them, however, he/she is the first to munch and eats considerably more than the others. I notice a lot of poop around the enclosure but have not seen it come specifically from him/her, although I don't think impaction is the case.The crickets I feed are pinheads some a little bigger but nothing bigger than the width of their head.

The basking area is 103F and the cool side is 90F with the floor being around 85-95F where the sickly dragon seems to spend most of it's time.

They are on Repticarpet with a log hide a basking branch and a shallow wide water dish.
The lights I use are ZooMed basking spot lamp 75w and ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 UVB, both in a dual deep dome sitting on the tank about 6 to 7 inches from the highest point on the log.

The two others seem to be doing well. They are not, however, taking to any greens I offer. I dust my crickets with calcium with D3.

So my question is, what do you think could be wrong with him? What can I do myself to keep him comfortable or healthy enough to allow time to go to a vet? Should I move it into another enclosure by itself, maybe the two others could be making the situation worse, or should I avoid any stress and leave him be.

I've done hours of research and contacted my local reptile store who says it's unfortunately helpless. I will be going to the vet tomorrow but I feel as though I can be helping the situation better having more knowledge. Thank you for your replies!

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I would probably separate the sickly one out if you have a suitable tank equipped...if for no other reason than to have a stool sample to take to the vet that you are sure is his. As you are going anyway I would suggest taking all three to rule out them being sick...maybe contagious? With them being so young, you were wise to get them to a herp vet asap. Maybe try drips of water on his nose to see if he will lick it off? (Hydration) Basking area for young ones should be closer to 110F. You sound so concerned and I can tell you only want the best, I truly hope the best for you :(

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the suggestions, it is a good idea to separate for a sample and bring all three, I did not think of that. I hold a plastic syringe with cool water at their snouts to let them drink. They don't always lick but they really seem to enjoy the cool water either way. I will separate tomorrow morning after they eat. Thank you again.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
It's wonderful they're drinking!! :) Just curious...you are cleaning up poop as soon as they go, right? I mean you're not letting it accumulate because that's just asking for huge problems. You don't sound like someone who would but just making sure ;) Please keep us posted!

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
As soon as it's dry enough to grab with tongs I clean it. Should I be cleaning earlier than that?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I myself don't wait. If I see it...I clean it. I Grab it best I can with paper towel or something and spot clean the area with 1% bleach solution. Once a week I tear the tank down and wash everything. You tong feed too? You use a different pair of tongs, right? Sorry if that's a stupid question just making sure. ..

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I shall start the spot cleaning. I do not tong feed, I just tip and pour my crickets into a small container in which I drop a tiny bit of calcium into, shake it up and pour them into the enclosure. If any are left over after 10 minutes or they become uninterested I go fishing for crickets. I do use one pair of tongs for many things however, but I make a habit of always washing my tongs after I touch crickets or poop. I would confidently eat my own food with them haha but perhaps a second pair would make things a little bit safer. All great suggestions, Thank you!

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You said u use the Repti sun bulb and zoo med basking bulb.
So I'm assuming the Uvb bulb is the spiral kind. I would personally ditch the spiral UVB bulb and go to the tube style 10.0. Reason for this is that the spiral bulbs are to bright for the beardies and can cause issues with there eyes. Going blind etc....

You also said when you picked it up it started flopping and rolling in your hand?

That is a neurological problem in the brain and I would definitely recommend taking it to a vet that can look at reptiles.
Definitely separate the sick one from the others as it will be stressed from the other dragons.

Keep us updated. I don't like hear of sick beardies. It kills me I've had to deal with two and both didn't end well.

I am glad it's eating though.

Keep up the good work....

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did have the spiral fluorescent UVB bulb for the first day but my local pet store suggested the tube so I switched right away. It stares at me constantly and waves his arm so I'm assuming his sight isn't affected. I was worried it was a neurological problem, that is disheartening Thank you both for the input, greatly appreciated.

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
I must say, before purchasing the dragons I did a considerable amount of research, most being on this very forum, and I had received a lot of information reading many of your very own posts on several different topics. It is a pleasure to have your help as I am confident in your knowledge. Thank you for your concern and your guidance

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you. I do appreciate that. I've learned a lot myself particularly when my girl Echo got sick.

If I can help one person save there beardie than that makes me happy.

They become part of the family and it's sad when one goes.

I'll try to help anyway I can and if I can't I'll ask the people that can lol.

I really hope he keeps improving for you.

Do u have plans can of the little guys? And post em here.

Cheers.

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Certainly, they just woke up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391789587.160446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391789617.825948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391789665.110246.jpg

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
When is your vet appointment? Is it a herp vet? Keep us posted. The two up top look small but off to a good start. The one down below does make me very nervous. Hope to hear some news from you soon.

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
He drags his head and almost slithers. What confuses me is, I just fed them and once again he lifts his head and is accurate and very hungry. He also pooped in my hand lol! But once he's done he goes back to being lethargic and groggy. What do you think I can do to fatten them up? I fed them three times a day but usually take some out so I don't think increasing the quantity will help. A switch from crickets to wax worms perhaps?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wax worms are a TREAT and treat only.

Silk worms and phoenix worms can be a everyday meal. If you have the money for it........

I feed greens every morning.
Mon, wed, Fri, crickets dusted
Tues, Thurs, sat super worms or phoenix worms.
Mon and Fri crickets dusted with vitamin powder. And Sunday I give em a break so to speak.

It's awesome how he eats yet makes no sense for the other stuff.

Does he drink?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Wax worms are NOT a good staple live prey item. Are you gut loading the crix before feeding to him? The healthier your feeder insects, the better. My advice is to get him to a qualified herp vet.

Buzzeo

Bearded Dragon Egg
My apologies my appointment is in half an hour. And my crickets food is replaced everyday I use a mixture of greens apple and potato and the occasional orange. That is a very detailed food regimen, thank you.

Latest posts