• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie fat?

Mistymin21

Bearded Dragon Egg
My baby beardie is about 3 months old. We were told he is male. He eats non stop. However, he seems to be getting fat. His belly is wide. His temps and humidity are spot on. He eats about a dozen crickets a day along with his salad (collard greens, acorn squash, green beans, and mango). He also gets about 4-5 meal worms a day. His salad is sprayed with calcium. We were told to feed him as much as he will eat while he is still growing. Does this sound like anything I should be worried about? He also has been laying in an odd spot for him on the bottom of the cage around 8 at night. He looks like he is dying... but if you go to move him he gets up and runs.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A picture would be helpful but i'm sure he is fine. Babies are constantly growing and they eat a lot. You want to feed them as much as they can eat in a 10 min period 3X a day at this age. Mine used to eat around 70 crickets a day. Remember to take any uneaten bugs out of the tank after the 10 min is up.

You want to dust one bug meal a day with supplements. Calcium with D3, without D3 and a multivitamin. Most people like to alternate these supplements each day. Bugs are always going to be eaten, salads might not be eaten so it's best to put the supplements on the bugs.

As far as the sleeping. They should be on a sleep cycle where the lights are on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. They will tend to start "tucking themselves in" when it gets close to bed time. They sleep like the dead! We used to joke with mine because as soon as their lights went out, no matter where they were in the tank, the eyes would close and that's where they slept!

Latest posts