• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie color concern

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I just adopted my baby beardie close to 5-6 days ago. He is about 3 months. He is eating his greens surprisingly well, and eats about 20-30 crickets a day dusted in calcium. His poops look good. The only thing I’m concerned about is the stress marks on his belly and I notice that sometimes when he’s basking he will close his eyes for seconds at a time, or even when he’s in his cool side. He also gets darker when he goes into his cool side and I just want to make sure this is normal. I heard that babies can’t control there stress marks but I’d like to get your guys’ help
image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I just adopted my baby beardie close to 5-6 days ago. He is about 3 months. He is eating his greens surprisingly well, and eats about 20-30 crickets a day dusted in calcium. His poops look good. The only thing I’m concerned about is the stress marks on his belly and I notice that sometimes when he’s basking he will close his eyes for seconds at a time, or even when he’s in his cool side. He also gets darker when he goes into his cool side and I just want to make sure this is normal. I heard that babies can’t control there stress marks but I’d like to get your guys’ help View attachment 35397
Hes going thru relocations stress and w/ time and correct UVB and surface basking temps he will adjust quicker to the tank and surroundings - those stress marks will disappear --- the stick on I see is that the only form of how your getting basking temps? You need 2 digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps - 105-110 --- NO coils for UVB they are a health hazard and will cause all kinds of health issues -- mood can change their colors on the scales beard etc as well as health like example black bearding

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes going thru relocations stress and w/ time and correct UVB and surface basking temps he will adjust quicker to the tank and surroundings - those stress marks will disappear --- the stick on I see is that the only form of how your getting basking temps? You need 2 digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps - 105-110 --- NO coils for UVB they are a health hazard and will cause all kinds of health issues -- mood can change their colors on the scales beard etc as well as health like example black bearding
Thank you for replying. The thermometer that you see in the picture is on his basking side. I have an identical one on his cool side which sits at about 80 degrees. His basking area is about 100. I have a 100 watt bulb but it isn’t stabilizing where I want it. If I got a 150 watt bulb would that be too much and would it burn out in my current lamp? Also, I do not have a coil uvb. I have the Arcadia t5 uvb lamp and it’s 24watts if I remember correctly. How does that sound? Any more tips ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for replying. The thermometer that you see in the picture is on his basking side. I have an identical one on his cool side which sits at about 80 degrees. His basking area is about 100. I have a 100 watt bulb but it isn’t stabilizing where I want it. If I got a 150 watt bulb would that be too much and would it burn out in my current lamp? Also, I do not have a coil uvb. I have the Arcadia t5 uvb lamp and it’s 24watts if I remember correctly. How does that sound? Any more tips ?
Please get the 2 digital probe thermometers I posted earlier ---you want an accurate surface basking temp that stick on is only giving ambient and the 100 is good for that -- the Arcadia is where in the tank ? Distance and placement is determined by the screen on the tank

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get the 2 digital probe thermometers I posted earlier ---you want an accurate surface basking temp that stick on is only giving ambient and the 100 is good for that -- the Arcadia is where in the tank ? Distance and placement is determined by the screen on the tank
Okay I will go tomorrow and get the digital ones the Arcadia is resting on top of the tank diagonally. It’s covering about 3/4s of the tank. I was made aware the mesh can block out some of the UVB should I mount it inside of his tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay I will go tomorrow and get the digital ones the Arcadia is resting on top of the tank diagonally. It’s covering about 3/4s of the tank. I was made aware the mesh can block out some of the UVB should I mount it inside of his tank?
Either take the screen off the tank or place inside --- 12 - 15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you able to post more pics of him? He looks pretty happy and healthy above! Hope he's adjusting well. Welcome to the forum!

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you able to post more pics of him? He looks pretty happy and healthy above! Hope he's adjusting well. Welcome to the forum!
Yes! I’ll post more pics. He is doing really well and downs his greens, which is funny because I know some people struggle getting their babies to eat greens and he eats his crickets really well too! I’ve heard contradictory statements regarding mealworms.. I have some but don’t wanna get him sick.
IMG_6055.jpeg
73163490006__F94B67C0-7EE7-4843-A794-47D6FF4BCA3B.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes! I’ll post more pics. He is doing really well and downs his greens, which is funny because I know some people struggle getting their babies to eat greens and he eats his crickets really well too! I’ve heard contradictory statements regarding mealworms.. I have some but don’t wanna get him sick.View attachment 35402View attachment 35403
Hes so cute and his stress marks are gone ---- please no meal worms the exoskeleton on the meal worm is hard for them to digest --- super worms are ok only every other day 1-3-- along w/ BSFL a main staple and good for babies - add as a supplement to his crickets - I recommend dubia roaches they are a cleaner insect and dont stink like crickets - cheaper to buy these on line- I can post websites for them if you like

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes so cute and his stress marks are gone ---- please no meal worms the exoskeleton on the meal worm is hard for them to digest --- super worms are ok only every other day 1-3-- along w/ BSFL a main staple and good for babies - add as a supplement to his crickets - I recommend dubia roaches they are a cleaner insect and dont stink like crickets - cheaper to buy these on line- I can post websites for them if you like
Yes! I would love the link

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes! I would love the link
www.dubiaroaches.com you can set up a 10 gallon aquarium order dubia food / dubia dew and feed what you feed the dragon --- carrots only for the dragon or the roaches not both you will end up w/ orange poop --too much Vit A
www.reptilianarts.com silk worms
www.symtonbsf.com order large they are small larvae
www.aafeeder.com
www.abfeeders.com
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder
https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/ they large supers only- good for when he gets to be about 5 months old or so --
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ expensive shipping
Try those sites ---

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
www.dubiaroaches.com you can set up a 10 gallon aquarium order dubia food / dubia dew and feed what you feed the dragon --- carrots only for the dragon or the roaches not both you will end up w/ orange poop --too much Vit A
www.reptilianarts.com silk worms
www.symtonbsf.com order large they are small larvae
www.aafeeder.com
www.abfeeders.com
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder
https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/ they large supers only- good for when he gets to be about 5 months old or so --
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ expensive shipping
Try those sites ---
Hi.. quick question. I noticed toothless’ tail started shedding today. Should I just let his body do his thing? I let him soak in warm water for about 5 minutes but that’s about it. Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi.. quick question. I noticed toothless’ tail started shedding today. Should I just let his body do his thing? I let him soak in warm water for about 5 minutes but that’s about it. Thanks!
Yes let it do its thing- bathing really wont help till its dry and crackly and peeling- then you can take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the loose scales - they will come off -

Latest posts