• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby bearded dragon

Aeagle45

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently got my dragon X back in August I believe he is between 2-3 or 2-4 months old. I’ve always handle him since I brought him and he does well with that, back in September his whole mood change I went to pick him up and he hissed at me and tried to attach my hand. He’d never done that before so I kept trying to pick him up and he kept doing the same thing. I thought it was because I changed his environment so I had change it back, he still tried to bite me and would puff out his beard( which never turned black). I was so hurt so I kept doing research on why he suddenly became aggressive, turns out he was starting his shedding process so I’d left him alone for about two week of course I continued to feed him and what not. Just yesterday is when he actually nipped me at when I was tending to him it didn’t hurt just surprised me. He’s never did that before and I’m so sad cuz I’m trying everything to keep him from being aggressive when he gets older. Is this because he’s starting to reach his teenage stage? Or he just doing this as making his territory? And is this because he just doesn’t want to be bothered by me anymore? Is there a way to reliable this Please help I really care about my baby X.

-Thank you-

Attachments

• CAE12B30-6EC5-4E33-AA66-5CA1AB961A5A.jpeg
    CAE12B30-6EC5-4E33-AA66-5CA1AB961A5A.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 39EBFDFF-3916-461C-BFDD-833DD2173A41.jpeg
    39EBFDFF-3916-461C-BFDD-833DD2173A41.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 28

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recently got my dragon X back in August I believe he is between 2-3 or 2-4 months old. I’ve always handle him since I brought him and he does well with that, back in September his whole mood change I went to pick him up and he hissed at me and tried to attach my hand. He’d never done that before so I kept trying to pick him up and he kept doing the same thing. I thought it was because I changed his environment so I had change it back, he still tried to bite me and would puff out his beard( which never turned black). I was so hurt so I kept doing research on why he suddenly became aggressive, turns out he was starting his shedding process so I’d left him alone for about two week of course I continued to feed him and what not. Just yesterday is when he actually nipped me at when I was tending to him it didn’t hurt just surprised me. He’s never did that before and I’m so sad cuz I’m trying everything to keep him from being aggressive when he gets older. Is this because he’s starting to reach his teenage stage? Or he just doing this as making his territory? And is this because he just doesn’t want to be bothered by me anymore? Is there a way to reliable this Please help I really care about my baby X.

-Thank you-
This is normal behavior ---- you are a really big person and he is scared and in a new environment --- keep working w/ him hand feed him - get him some BSFL and hand feed those - put a fleece blanket or some clothing in his hide - something w/ your smell on it -- he needs to learn to trust you-- patience is another thing --- it took me months to get Blaze hand tamed he was around the same age --- pet him in the tank - I ended up having to wear a glove to pick him up and hold him in the tank --- it will take some time --- but work w/ him every day -- I put Blaze on a schedule and did the same thing so he knew what to expect all the time --- they do get crabby when shedding and may lose their appetite as well --- so just so you know--- make sure your surface basking temps and UVB are on par--- surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and NO coils for UVB --- you want a long tube fixture -- I can help w/ that and recommend good UVB's --- this is imperative for him to acclimate to his tank and his new surroundings - that is another thing he is going thru relocation stress --

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I agree, youngsters sometimes don't deal with change very well. It is most likely just a phase & with some
time he will get past it. If you can find a favorite food or treat for him, that can sometimes help. Be sure it
isn't your finger he goes after!
We can double check your tank setup too, if you need, as Sadie requested.

Tracie