• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby bearded dragon still not eating

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I got my bearded dragon the Saturday after Christmas, or the 29th of December. Ever since I got him, he has been barely eating. He usually has been eating around 8 crickets per day, but today, at 0. I tried to feed him multiple times and even removed him from his hammock and placed him next to the crickets in hopes that he would eat, but he only started staring at the glass and trying to climb it. (I actually got a background for the tank, but the sides and front still are just plain glass) I was told that because I recently got him, he was still stressed from relocation and would begin to eat heavily, except this hasn't happened despite me having him for over a week.

In his tank, which is 75 gallons, the temperatures are normal. His basking spot, which is his hammock he barely ever leaves, stays around 105 degrees, currently at 107. His cooler side remains much colder normally in the low 70s. I have two heat lamps and a UVB lamp currently, but am currently purchasing one of the wide bulbs that I read are much better. At night, I also place a ceramic heater in place of his current UVB bulb to ensure that his temperature remains around 70 degrees at night. All in all, I don't think there is anything wrong with his temperatures. His humidity levels normally stay in the high 30's despite having uses two different humidifiers. I originally used the big one I have for my damp basement, but that didn't decrease it much. I then bought a mini one that can fit in his tank. It is called the Eva-Dry and it doesn't seem to be working, either. I will be testing my humidity gauge tomorrow to ensure that it is accurately measuring the humidity. When I came back from a short, 2-day trip, I believed he was dehydrated so I have been giving him daily baths and putting drops of water on his nose for him to drink, which he does for a little. He still currently has a few wrinkles, but I am not sure if they are from dehydration as I'm not sure how he could be dehydrated at this point. I'm not sure what else would cause him to not be eating much. I'm getting worried. He still poops often however, which is a bit reassuring.

Here is a picture of his tank: https://imgur.com/a/EiJOJIz

Here is a picture of him (sorry for the low quality, I will upload a better one tomorrow if needed): https://imgur.com/a/OvwTJoq

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The decor in the tank looks real dangerously high. I would try to get something under that hammock that he can easily jump to and maybe something more solid for a ramp to go down. If he falls from that height (and dragons do tend to just walk off things because they have bad depth perception) he could hurt himself.

He could still be stressed. He went to a new home and then as he was getting used to you, you left him for a few days. If he's pooping, he's eating something so that's a good sign. I would let him settle again, try not to hold him much or watch him eat. He should start to come around. Another member is having the same issues that you are. Just takes some patience.

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
The decor in the tank looks real dangerously high. I would try to get something under that hammock that he can easily jump to and maybe something more solid for a ramp to go down. If he falls from that height (and dragons do tend to just walk off things because they have bad depth perception) he could hurt himself.

He could still be stressed. He went to a new home and then as he was getting used to you, you left him for a few days. If he's pooping, he's eating something so that's a good sign. I would let him settle again, try not to hold him much or watch him eat. He should start to come around. Another member is having the same issues that you are. Just takes some patience.

He normally climbs up either the branch or the big stump of wood to the hammock and can get down from it easily too. The reason it is up so high is to get the high temperature, which is normally about 105 degrees. Yesterday he ate two crickets, which is good.

MeganDanielle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my baby right around the same time you did. He hasn't always been the best eater but always ate at least 6-8 roaches. In the last week I can count on possibly two hands how many he has eaten. He even went 2-3 days with only eating one. I did notice that he is just starting to shed pretty badly and someone told me when they go through that sometimes they lose their appetite. Hopefully it comes back. He is still pooping regularly and doesnt seem to lethargic. Do you think maybe yours is starting to shed to?

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my baby right around the same time you did. He hasn't always been the best eater but always ate at least 6-8 roaches. In the last week I can count on possibly two hands how many he has eaten. He even went 2-3 days with only eating one. I did notice that he is just starting to shed pretty badly and someone told me when they go through that sometimes they lose their appetite. Hopefully it comes back. He is still pooping regularly and doesnt seem to lethargic. Do you think maybe yours is starting to shed to?

I'm too new to give a definitive answer, but it doesn't seem that he is shedding.

Anyone have any suggestions? He still isn't eating. He hasn't eaten in 48 hours.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm too new to give a definitive answer, but it doesn't seem that he is shedding.

Anyone have any suggestions? He still isn't eating. He hasn't eaten in 48 hours.

How is he now? Any change? I would take him for a vet visit if you haven't done that already to rule out any parasites or anything.

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
How is he now? Any change? I would take him for a vet visit if you haven't done that already to rule out any parasites or anything.

He passed away last night. I was going to take him to the vet today if he didn't eat yesterday, which he didn't. I read on a post that if they don't eat for a full week, then take them to the vet. The Sunday before yesterday was the last time he ate. When I woke up, however, he was lying down lifeless in his vivarium. It's super frustrating because I can't pinpoint what went wrong.

His temps are correct, with the cool side normally remaining in the low 80's and his basking spot at 105. He was in a 75 gallon tank with lots of decor, so no shortage of places to hide. His substrate was reptile carpet. I fed him predominantly crickets, with the exception for one day where I fed him a few small mealwroms. I don't believe he was impacted because he was still pooping fine. The only thing, besides that, would maybe be his lack of UVB. The pet store where I bought him from, a local pet store that seemed trustworthy, told me to use a coil UVB bulb. I later read this wasn't adequate so I purchased the reptisun 10.0 UVB long bulb for him. At this point, he was already much weaker and not eating. He would rarely move and remained in the shaded areas of his viv for most of the time.

Is there anything I did wrong, besides not taking him to the vet earlier?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I’m so sorry for your loss. It really sounds like you did things right. Sometimes with babies though, they sometimes have failure to thrive. It’s nothing you did, it’s just something genetically wrong with them. Our other member Angela, just lost her baby Lady. She took her to the vet everything was fine with her but she just didn’t make it. Don’t blame yourself, sometimes these things happen and we just don’t know why.

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m so sorry for your loss. It really sounds like you did things right. Sometimes with babies though, they sometimes have failure to thrive. It’s nothing you did, it’s just something genetically wrong with them. Our other member Angela, just lost her baby Lady. She took her to the vet everything was fine with her but she just didn’t make it. Don’t blame yourself, sometimes these things happen and we just don’t know why.

I'm no expert, but the only thing I could think of was MBD because I used the compact UVB bulb for about two weeks. However, his bones seem fine upon feeling them with my hands after he died and it was only two weeks with the inadequate bulb, although they may have kept him like that his entire life.

Regardless, I was wondering if everything about my setup seems fine? My humidity is normally within the 30-40 percent range, even with a mini dehumidifier in the cage. I am looking to get another bearded dragon, although this time I will probably find an adult from an unwanting owner.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
2 weeks with the wrong bulb shouldn’t kill a dragon. I don’t see anything that you could have done wrong. I really just think it comes down to genetics. Babies can be so hard to raise because of genetics.

Now make sure you sterilize everything real good. The steam cleaner is the best to kill all bacteria and parasites. The beautiful dragons website has a section on disinfection.

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
2 weeks with the wrong bulb shouldn’t kill a dragon. I don’t see anything that you could have done wrong. I really just think it comes down to genetics. Babies can be so hard to raise because of genetics.

Now make sure you sterilize everything real good. The steam cleaner is the best to kill all bacteria and parasites. The beautiful dragons website has a section on disinfection.

Alright, thanks so much for all your help. I'm planning to adopt an adult from craigslist rather than get a baby, as I heard adults are better for beginners.

Here is the one I am thinking of getting ($100 for her and her cage, but I already have a cage so I will use the included on for other reptiles). I was just wondering if you think that she's healthy. I was told she is about 18 inches long and 3.5 years old.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/C52JgsU

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She looks very thin and dehydrated. I don’t really see good fat pads on her head or her tail base, and those nails! She’s going to need some care and a vet visit.

pdugery

Bearded Dragon Egg
She looks very thin and dehydrated. I don’t really see good fat pads on her head or her tail base, and those nails! She’s going to need some care and a vet visit.

So do you think it would be ok to get her? Her owner seems to care about her but claims the need to get rid of her because he is moving. He said she is a good eater and I don't mind putting in a lot of work to care for her.

What do you advise?

Tabasco

Hatchling Dragon
I would start off with a healthy dragon unless you have plenty of money for vet bills, medicine etc.

Also sterilize everything that was used in last tank, tools etc b4 putting anything in it. Also I would recommend a dragon arounf 4 to 6 months old of proper size for age for various reasons.

Rescues are great for experienced owners, not so much for newbies. Get a dragon from a good breeder that has a long track record of raising healthy, good sized dragons with good temperament.

Good luck!

Latest posts