• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

baby bearded dragon not eating

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had a baby bearded dragon for about a month now. He/she is about 6 inches long. Since the first day I had him he ate very well, almost three times a day. The local pet store was out of crickets and i offered him mealworms as the last result. He did not eat any of the mealworms and now three days later i was finally able to offer him crickets but now he wont eat. I dont know what could be wrong or what to do!

About his cage:
20 gallon tank
UVB light
Basking area(105 F)
Cool spot (80-85 F)
water dish
reptile carpet

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
if your dragon is just a baby the basking temp should be a 110 F

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
Would that be a reason its not eating?
Because that is the temp about half way up the log and he will sit almost at the top of it do im sure he gets to 110

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
he may still be getting use to his tank how long have you had him or her

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
for about a month, he was eating fine from the day i got him/her until three days ago when i was unable to offer food.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
When was the last bowl movement. He might be to full to eat anything

One beardie. Four corns. One ball python. One Costa Rican boa.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Do u feed him in a separate container...that's what I do and he seems to eat a lot better like that I just take a small plastic container with a lid and put him in then add about 20 crix and let him chow down for ten minutes if there are any left after ten minutes we save them for later that day. Instead of just putting them in his tank cuz he is lazy.

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats a good idea i will try that and let you know. Update: I gave him a warm bath and let him soak for about 15 min. After i noticed a little white poo and red poo almost the same texture of the white. I provide the bdpellets but have never seen him eat them so i dont know if the red is from the pellets or possibly blood.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Now I don't know about the red poo maybe a more experienced keeper could help out because I haven't had to deal with that. But yea def try feeding in a container because they don't have to work hard to find the crix in a small container as compared to a huge tank. Im a snake keeper too and I feed all my snakes in plastic containers so they don't associate food with their enclosure. Let me know how that works and if he eats for you.

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
So feeding outside of the tank didnt help. Im starting to have a bad feeling hes impacted I just dont know how that happened. He has slept pretty much all day, and does not move much. The back legs seem to always be spread out. I dont know much about impaction besides giving baths.. should i try to give him another bath? Do these symptoms sound like impaction to you guys?

PLEASE HELP!

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
I'm sorry u are having to go through this. I would be very worried To if it was my beardie. I don't know much about impaction but I have heard that rubbing these little guys bellies will help with passing poo sometimes...worth a try. Do u use sand or any other loose substrates in your setup.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Also I would keep giving him a warm bath not to hot but motto cold just a little warm to the touch because I've read that these guys need belly heat to digest so sittin in warm water for a while could help along with rubbing his belly and making sure u get ur basking temp up to 110 what kind of light are I using and how are I testing temps

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Could u post a pic of your setup with all the details u can think and hopefully some of these veteran posters can chime in.

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
Would it be ok if i gave him another bath now this late, and the light i have is a 100 w backing spot light, and then i have the UVB reptisun.. I have a thermometer on both sides

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
I would wait until in the morning to give another bath after his lights have been on for about an hour so he can warm up first. But that's just me if ur lights are already off for the night I would def wait

deardally

Bearded Dragon Egg
its an analog and i think your right thats why i was so questionable about it.
HEres the tank set up

bdtank.jpg