• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Bearded Dragon mouth open and a click?

kyra-byrne

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my baby bearded dragon about a week ago from a Petco. Today, she opened her mouth and I could’ve sworn I heard a clicking sound. She just started doing this today. She hasn’t done it a lot. Maybe once or twice. I didn’t know if this was considered to be a respiratory infection. She was also doing it while I was looking at her. She was laying on my chest, and I started staring at her. I don’t know if she started to open her mouth because she was threatened by me looking at her? I also noticed that one nostril seem to look more clearer than the other. Could her opening her mouth to breathe be because a nostril is clogged? She still super energetic, has been eating her crickets with the calcium powder on it, and sleeps curled up in a ball in my hand before I put her back in her tank for bed. She has been pooping frequently, her basking area is around 100°, and she’s overall acting pretty normal. Should I continue to watch her, or should I take her to the vet?

Attachments

• Sleepy Baby.JPG
    Sleepy Baby.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my baby bearded dragon about a week ago from a Petco. Today, she opened her mouth and I could’ve sworn I heard a clicking sound. She just started doing this today. She hasn’t done it a lot. Maybe once or twice. I didn’t know if this was considered to be a respiratory infection. She was also doing it while I was looking at her. She was laying on my chest, and I started staring at her. I don’t know if she started to open her mouth because she was threatened by me looking at her? I also noticed that one nostril seem to look more clearer than the other. Could her opening her mouth to breathe be because a nostril is clogged? She still super energetic, has been eating her crickets with the calcium powder on it, and sleeps curled up in a ball in my hand before I put her back in her tank for bed. She has been pooping frequently, her basking area is around 100°, and she’s overall acting pretty normal. Should I continue to watch her, or should I take her to the vet?
Continue to listen and watch the nostil if shes got stuff coming out of it then she may have a RI --- what are you using for a UVB ? NO coils --- and I would get her basking temp up to 105-110- if shes not feeling good you may need to invest in a CHE --- ceramic heat emitter to keep the tank warmer at nite --- it will help w/ the immune system --go over the UVB please this is very important and if she is battling a RI you want a tube fixture NOT a coil-- I can help w/ this

kyra-byrne

Bearded Dragon Egg
Continue to listen and watch the nostil if shes got stuff coming out of it then she may have a RI --- what are you using for a UVB ? NO coils --- and I would get her basking temp up to 105-110- if shes not feeling good you may need to invest in a CHE --- ceramic heat emitter to keep the tank warmer at nite --- it will help w/ the immune system --go over the UVB please this is very important and if she is battling a RI you want a tube fixture NOT a coil-- I can help w/ this
I brought her to the vet. She got a full check up. No or I brought her to the vet. She got a full check up. No RI thank god! But now she’s not pooping so when she does I have to send in a fecal sample to check for parasites. Her nostrils have cleared up since I clean them with a small Q-tip. Her tank does not go below 80 degrees at night. She does not have coils for the UVB light and she does have a UVA bulb in as well. I’m happy to know that she’s all right, and I’ll keep you updated if any parasites are found. Thank you for the message :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I brought her to the vet. She got a full check up. No or I brought her to the vet. She got a full check up. No RI thank god! But now she’s not pooping so when she does I have to send in a fecal sample to check for parasites. Her nostrils have cleared up since I clean them with a small Q-tip. Her tank does not go below 80 degrees at night. She does not have coils for the UVB light and she does have a UVA bulb in as well. I’m happy to know that she’s all right, and I’ll keep you updated if any parasites are found. Thank you for the message :)
You want cooler temps at nite 80 is too warm if she's feeling good and not sick - what are you using for a UVB? Distance and placement is crucial - brand and bulb please--- I am glad she does not have a ri--

kyra-byrne

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want cooler temps at nite 80 is too warm if she's feeling good and not sick - what are you using for a UVB? Distance and placement is crucial - brand and bulb please--- I am glad she does not have a ri--
Zilla desert light tube 50

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Zilla desert light tube 50
I would recommend you change the zilla tube out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb they are a way better bulb -- make sure the fixture has the clear plastic cover off and its inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor piece