• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beard about to shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comrade giggles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,

I am a first time beardie momma, I have a 4 month old boy (I think?), had him for about 3-4 weeks. He was stressed and not eating for the first week, until I got him a better basking bulb and he got used to his new home, then he was fine and full of beans. But in the last 3 days, I noticed a change in his behaviour...

He will eat his breakfast, and then go and nap in his basking spot. He then wakes up in the early evening to poop and eat his dinner, and goes back to sleep again. His face and tail have gone a bit grey, and he's been puffing his beard in and out a lot (with mouth closed, without it going black). He also scratches his head on his log sometimes, and has been a bit grumpy.

Is he about to shed? How long will he behave like this until he starts shedding? His poops are normal and he is still eating, although he can't be bothered chasing crickets and locusts around and only eats worms and roaches.

Thanks in advance!

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Hello all,

I am a first time beardie momma, I have a 4 month old boy (I think?), had him for about 3-4 weeks. He was stressed and not eating for the first week, until I got him a better basking bulb and he got used to his new home, then he was fine and full of beans. But in the last 3 days, I noticed a change in his behaviour...

He will eat his breakfast, and then go and nap in his basking spot. He then wakes up in the early evening to poop and eat his dinner, and goes back to sleep again. His face and tail have gone a bit grey, and he's been puffing his beard in and out a lot (with mouth closed, without it going black). He also scratches his head on his log sometimes, and has been a bit grumpy.

Is he about to shed? How long will he behave like this until he starts shedding? His poops are normal and he is still eating, although he can't be bothered chasing crickets and locusts around and only eats worms and roaches.

Thanks in

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
Well how is your basking temps and do you check them with a digital? What kinda uvb are you using? Now this does sound like a case of shedding bearded dragons get really itchy and will rub and scratch trying to loosen the shed. How is your humidity? I know with my male beardie he scratched his face and body all over his log lol. You can try to give him a warm bath don't make it to hot and that should ease his itch alittle and he should perk up and it shouldn't be too long after the itching the shed should start peeling but don't pull the shed off that could hurt him more then help

comrade giggles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well how is your basking temps and do you check them with a digital? What kinda uvb are you using? Now this does sound like a case of shedding bearded dragons get really itchy and will rub and scratch trying to loosen the shed. How is your humidity? I know with my male beardie he scratched his face and body all over his log lol. You can try to give him a warm bath don't make it to hot and that should ease his itch alittle and he should perk up and it shouldn't be too long after the itching the shed should start peeling but don't pull the shed off that could hurt him more then help
My basking temps are 34-37 C, I use an Exo Terra intense basking bulb and a 38w t8 UVB tube. I am planning to upgrade to a t5 though. I also dust his food with calcium + d3.

The thing that worries me is how lethargic he is :/ he hasn't scratched today, just been very lethargic (but still eating and pooping) and keeps puffing his beard in and out (I guess to loosen the skin?). I hope he will actually start shedding soon and this process will be over soon.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
My basking temps are 34-37 C, I use an Exo Terra intense basking bulb and a 38w t8 UVB tube. I am planning to upgrade to a t5 though. I also dust his food with calcium + d3.

The thing that worries me is how lethargic he is :/ he hasn't scratched today, just been very lethargic (but still eating and pooping) and keeps puffing his beard in and out (I guess to loosen the skin?). I hope he will actually start shedding soon and this process will be over

The thing that worries me is how lethargic he is :/ he hasn't scratched today, just been very lethargic (but still eating and pooping) and keeps puffing his beard in and out (I guess to loosen the skin?). I hope he will actually start shedding soon and this process will be over soon.
Alot of times they will puff there beard to loosen shed. When was the last time he ate and pooped?

comrade giggles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alot of times they will puff there beard to loosen shed. When was the last time he ate and pooped?
Today - he had his breakfast (some dubies + worms), then had a sleep, then came to at around 5pm for a poop and to eat some more, then napped for the rest of the evening. I offered him some locusts and he only had 3 - he only seems to be interested in dubies and worms at the moment. He spent most of the day napping in his basking spot, or sitting around and not moving much... he usually runs around in the evenings :/

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Today - he had his breakfast (some dubies + worms), then had a sleep, then came to at around 5pm for a poop and to eat some more, then napped for the rest of the evening. I offered him some locusts and he only had 3 - he only seems to be interested in dubies and worms at the moment. He spent most of the day napping in his basking spot, or sitting around and not moving much... he usually runs around in the evenings :/
Could you send a picture of him?

comrade giggles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Why is it taking so long for it to happen? I guess there's not much I can do except bathe him and not bother him, and keep offering him food... how long does the shedding process take in juveniles and are they sleepy and lethargic throughout the entire process?

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Why is it taking so long for it to happen? I guess there's not much I can do except bathe him and not bother him, and keep offering him food... how long does the shedding process take in juveniles and are they sleepy and lethargic throughout the entire process?
Depends on the dragon when I got my beardie and he started hiding and itching and acting lethargic not eating for like 3 days took him to the vet they told me he was fine he was about to shed very next day he started to shed lol so I guess it's what they want to do. And I took him to the vet twice because of shedding lol

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
How is your baby doing now?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Shedding is a process - some areas take longer than others- it can effect the eating slowing it down - your dragon should not be lethargic- correct basking temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- no coils for uvb please this will effect the dragon all together

Dragonmomma

Bearded Dragon Egg

Hi new Dragon momma here , My Moona is doing this very same thing, gray head moody and puffing up but not turning black. Just like a frog as you explained. Please update if yours shed and is better? Thank you !

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
The original starter of this thread hasn't been back here in over a year. You would be better off starting your own thread to express your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts