• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby and superworms

Baseballmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
my 18 year old Aspie just got a baby bearded dragon for a first pet. He did a lot of reading first but I think he got overwhelmed and confused. He brought it home tonight, got it all set up and fed it like the lady at Petco told him to. She sold him super worms @@.

The dragon is maybe 5 inches roughly so it is a baby from what I can gather right? He fed it 3 worms! Ugh is it going to die now?? I don’t know what to tell him and he is beside himself because he trusted her to know since it’s her job and I couldn’t get him to understand. He is highly intelligent but—-it’s an Aspie thing.
Can someone just tell me if I can do anything to help now that he gave it the wrong thing to eat? Working on re-education but help for this situation please,

Baseballmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here’s a pic for sizing

Attachments

• 849DF70B-08F3-4A5B-9546-677FB8C598F3.jpeg
    849DF70B-08F3-4A5B-9546-677FB8C598F3.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 25

Baseballmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 18 yo with Asperger’s decided he wanted a pet. His first pet. He did a lot of reading and research on his own. Unfortunately I think he got confused and overwhelmed- Trouble with Asperger’s is that you can’t convince him that someone could be wrong if it’s their job to know. Enter pet store employees. Ugh anyway.

He brought this baby home tonight and the lady told him superworms were a good choice. Not only is the dragon 5 inches at most so a baby, but my son fed it 3 super worms tonight.

Is it going to die of? How long until I know if there is a problem? Anything I can do to help fix?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
dont worry if it was just a few, but yes ,as a rule superworms shouldn't be fed until your beardie is bigger (8months to 1 year old). You can buy baby supers which would be fine, but adult supers are definately a no-no for juvenile dragons, they are too big. You must get live food that is size appropriate and most bugs can be bought in various sizes.Try crickets, locusts, dubias or discoids or phoenix worms (wax worms as a treat). Order them online if you are struggling to find locally.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
A general rule of thumb is to not feed anything larger than the space between your dragons eyes. Most worms are fatty so should be fed in moderation. Phoenix worms (aka, calci worms, reptiworms) are an exception, very high in calcium. If you buy those get adult sized ones as they are small and the baby ones are too small and a pain to seperate from the medium they come in.

The best feeder by far are Dubia roaches. They are illegal in some US states like florida, but they are by far the easiest to keep, least smelly and most nutritious of all the feeders. Bugs should be gutloaded. This is done by simply feeding the bugs veggies that you would like your dragon to eat.

Baseballmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
A general rule of thumb is to not feed anything larger than the space between your dragons eyes. Most worms are fatty so should be fed in moderation. Phoenix worms (aka, calci worms, reptiworms) are an exception, very high in calcium. If you buy those get adult sized ones as they are small and the baby ones are too small and a pain to seperate from the medium they come in.

The best feeder by far are Dubia roaches. They are illegal in some US states like florida, but they are by far the easiest to keep, least smelly and most nutritious of all the feeders. Bugs should be gutloaded. This is done by simply feeding the bugs veggies that you would like your dragon to eat.
Thank you! I can’t see me ever bringing roaches into the house but crickets can be done. Thank you!!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you use crickets, make sure any uneaten ones are taken out of the enclosure before lights out. They can nibble on your beardie while its asleep. Dont forget the bugs need dusting with calcium too.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Should be fine. Just keep an eye on it. I never saw myself bringing roaches into the house but once we learned that they don't breed unless they are adults and kept real warm, it made the choice easier. Dubia roaches look and act so different from other roaches, the are more like little water bugs.

Latest posts